Spring Sports in Full Swing

Source%3A+ucpioneers.com
Source: ucpioneers.com

Madison Judge, Staff Writer

Student’s across campus are excited for a new chapter in UC sports to begin as the Pioneers have a chance to come out and win their respective Empire 8 championships.

Some, like freshman Maki Medici, are hopeful for the Pioneers success this spring. Medici is also looking forward to watching the UC baseball team this season.

“Baseball is my favorite sport because it is America’s No. 1 sport, and I have been playing my whole life,” Medici said. “I know a few players on the team who I’ll be watching.”

Junior Kiernan Briggs is an athlete on this year’s team and couldn’t be happier being part of a spring sport at the college.

“My favorite part about UC athletics is the community,” Briggs said. “Everyone is so kind to the sports teams we have here, and it’s something you won’t experience anywhere else.”

Freshmen Kobe Lufkin is a baseball fan as well and loves going down to the field during home games.

“I played baseball when I was younger and going to Yankee games during the spring is something I look forward to,” Lufkin said. “Each team is here for each other at UC, and fans are really into the games and root for their teams.”

Baseball is not the only sport fans are excited to watch.

Freshman Antonio Viscusi is ready to watch the men’s lacrosse team compete this season. He is looking forward to attending as many home games as he can and loves UC athletics because it is like “one big family.”

“Lacrosse is my favorite spring sport because it is fast paced just like soccer,” Viscusi said. “Some of my best friends are on the team.”

Freshman Alex Randisi likes to watch softball at Utica because she believes any team can win on a given day.

“Softball is my favorite spring sport because my whole life I have been playing it, and it’s just an interesting game to me,” Randisi said. “I absolutely will be cheering all my friends on at home games.”

Freshmen Jenny Robbins is also excited to see the softball team play this spring.

“I am going to be attending home games and watching my friends play,” Robbins said. “I’m really excited to hear everyone’s walk-up songs.”

Junior Dena Eidel said her favorite spring sport is waterpolo. She explained more people should look into the strategy behind it and wishes Utica had home games this season for the sport.

“It is a sport that not many people know about,” Eidel said. “It takes a lot of physical strength and mental toughness to perform well in the game. Also, the girls on the team are really nice and often overlooked when it comes to UC athletics.”

Eidel enjoys all athletic events on campus and believes the college truly “Never Stands Still.”

“Utica is a tight knit community and the athletic programs are the same way,” Eidel said. “All of the teams are close and supportive of one another.”