UCONN’s winning streak comes to an end

source%3A+hercampus.com
source: hercampus.com

Jacqui White, Staff Writer

On April 1, 2017 second seeded Mississippi State beat number one University of Connecticut in the semi-finals of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament in an overtime buzzer beater. In last year’s NCAA tournament, the UConn huskies won by 60 points.

Many were surprised by the upset, since UConn had been on a 111 game winning streak. Their previous team record for wins in a row was 91. The Huskies had been on their way to win their fifth national championship in a row under head coach Geno Auriemma. Many viewers of the game called the victory a win for “the itty bitty over the giant”.

Women’s basketball fans in Utica College were surprised as well at the turn out of the game. Senior guard Calypso Carty explained what she thought the upset win meant for women’s basketball in the future.

“I think Mississippi State beating UConn was huge for women’s basketball,” Carty explained.

Carty further explained that UConn is a tremendously talented team and should be given credit for the records they have set. But she also thought that due to the talents of UConn, people might’ve lost interest in women’s basketball because they assume that UConn will just win the national championship at the end.

“To have a team like Mississippi State beat them on a buzzer beater showed that no team is unbeatable and that there is a lot of great talent out there in women’s basketball.”

Junior forward Maggie Tabone also thought that the win would be a great improvement for women’s basketball.

“I actually wrote an article in the Odyssey about the game. I think this will do big things for the women’s college game.”