Player profile: Ashelyn Babb

Jordan Hughes, Staff Writer

Ashelyn Babb is the epitome of an ideal player – someone who carries herself with a team oriented mentality, strong work ethic and motivation.

The junior health study major is a member of the women’s basketball team, and as a third year member, is leaving a lasting impact on the program.

Babb, who’s from Lynn, Massachusetts, prides herself on being one of the hardest working players in the locker room.  Babb knew from growing up that she would need to work hard academically and athletically to find her way to a good college.

Growing up, Babb used sports and school to keep her out of the troubles the city had around it.  Keeping her grade point average up in school is what allowed her to play basketball.

Babb said she doesn’t just play the game because she enjoys it. She plays because it’s shaped her into the person she is today.  She is confident in saying she wouldn’t know what she would be doing without basketball.

She has played in 22 games this season and is averaging about 36.2 minutes per game.  Babb is second on the team in points per game, scoring an average 13.1 points – just a point behind leading scorer Ashley Mayo.

Babb has been described by her teammates as someone who loves the game and is passionate about it. Her teammates noted her obvious passion for basketball.

“She’s constantly aggressively attacking the basket,” said her teammate, Maggie Tabone.

Babb does more than just show up and go through the motions. She comes ready to play, no matter if it’s practice or the actual games. Most importantly, she enjoys herself every time she’s on the court.

“She’s always cracking jokes,” Tabone said.

Babb and the rest of the women’s basketball team currently sit at 6-17 overall with a home record of 3-8.  The team is currently ranked seventh in the Empire 8 conference, with two more home games to finish out the season.

The Pioneers finish off the season on senior night on Feb. 18.