Preparing For Finals

Amanda Paladino, Features Editor 

With finals week approaching, much anticipated stress comes with it- scrambling to prepare for multiple exams at once, forcing deep thought into lengthy research papers, and desperate attempts at maintaining focus while summer weather creeps in.

Many UC students are forced to try and maintain sanity while striving to finish strong and earn the high GPAs that they’ve worked all semester toward. However, a simple reminder that all the stress will be over soon holds promise, with summer on the horizon as a reward for extensive hard work.

“Every time I start to feel overwhelmed, I remind myself that there’s a vacation just around the corner,” said senior Francesca Murad. “It makes it all feel worth it.”

While thoughts of summer may prove to be a light at the end of the tunnel, it certainly is no panacea. It’s crucial for students to zone in on the present in order to achieve their goals, and organization is key.

“I make a chart of all the things I need to do in the weeks before finals, and map out when each of my finals are so I know when to prepare for each and how much time I have,” said Amanda Taurisano, a sophomore. “I even color code it!”

Taurisano’s method of compartmentalizing her work has been a successful tool in her time management. She recommends it to students to help anticipate exams and papers that are coming, as organization allows her to avoid any last minute cramming.

All of UC’s students are unique individuals, and some have found that certain techniques work better than others. Freshman Sydney Muraca takes an alternative approach to her studies.

“Sometimes, I’ve found that I actually do my best when under pressure,” Muraca said. “I definitely like to plan ahead, but I’ve also done really well on exams when I just spend hours cramming the nights before.”

The important thing to realize for students is that regardless of what method you chose, it’s important to keep your eye on the prize and strive for success for yourself. While spring semester’s finals week certainly brings the temptation to throw in the towel and check out early, perseverance and focus for the home stretch are a must!