Utica University students and staff remember Chef Stephen Reynolds

226 Views
Chef “Scuba Steve” Reynolds, who served for 36 years at Utica University / Photo: Stacy Thomas

On Feb. 22, Utica University Culinary Lead Stephen Reynolds passed away as a result of illness after serving students and staff since 1988. 

“He was more than an employee. He was our family,” Sodexo’sRetail Manager Stacy Thomas said. “When I started working here at 20 years old, he took me under his wing, taught me how to be a leader, and worked next to me in all aspects of the business.”

“Scuba Steve” was known by many for his love of hunting, fishing, growing vegetables and animals, according to Thomas. 

“His dogs were his life,” Thomas said. “He used to train beagles as hunting dogs. He loved his chickens, which he would bring the eggs to us to share.”

Reynolds was extremely dedicated to his craft, General Manager of Sodexo Dining Services Damian Boehlert said. Everything from sports banquets to catering were prepared by him. 

“He was here every day, he never missed work,” Boehlert said. “If we had a person call in, I always immediately looked to Steve. I never had to supervise him.”

According to Boehlert, Reynolds took charge of providing for students with dietary needs, giving options to those who needed them outside of the typical offerings. 

“He had recently received a letter from a student to thank him,” Boehlert said, “It was really heartwarming for him to know he had impacted that person in the way he did.”

Arthur Langdon, executive chef at Utica University, said how ingrained Reynolds was in the Utica University system. 

“There was always a level of reliability with [Steve], he wasn’t just your average employee,” Langdon said. “He had keys, combinations to safes. If one of our managers weren’t here, he would be the guy to step into that role.”

Above all else, according to Langdon, Reynolds loved his job because of his love for Utica University.

“He enjoyed work because he was doing it for the students and the campus community,” Langdon said. “Whether it was doing things for the Heart Run & Walk, or wearing a Utica hat or shirt, Steve enjoyed being a part of this community.”

View Comments (2)