Pioneers Trounce Yeshiva University in Weekend Games, Florida Invitational Up Next

The Utica University men’s baseball team’s trip to Yeshiva University proved successful with 40 runs scored in a doubleheader on March 3.

In the first double-header game, the Pioneers lit up the scoreboard putting up 16 runs with a final score of 16-3. 

Twelve runs were scored in the 6th inning. Sophomore Jack Scanlon led the offense, going four for five with five RBI. He would end the game with two doubles and a triple. Seniors Dom Fasolo and Jason Story also registered multiple hits. Graduate student Joe Crossley was able to get on base with each of his five attempts at bat with one hit and four walks. 

On the defensive side, Utica sent six pitchers to the mound, five of them pitching one inning while sophomore Kody Czternastek pitched two.

The second half of the doubleheader was even more of a blowout, with Utica scoring 24 runs while only giving up one. 

This time around sophomore Jacob Pian registered three hits. Crossley went two for two with a pair of walks and four stolen bases. Story hit his second home run of the season while going two for three on the night. Sophomore Lance Berger finished the game with two hits and three RBI. 

Crossley said the weekend was positive all around.

“Offensively we had a lot of guys contributing and getting on base,” Crossley said. “We also had a lot of pitchers who threw this weekend and they threw very well.”

The team will travel to Florida on March 9 for seven games in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational. Story is excited to head down to the sunshine state.

“I think we will really start to see the team gel as a whole as this trip progresses as guys start to get comfortable and in a groove at the plate,” Story said. “Each game in Florida will be a battle and will certainly prepare us for Empire 8 Conference play coming up when we return.”

Crossley is looking forward to his last year of collegiate baseball.

“Since this is my last year I am really just trying to enjoy every moment whether it’s the bus rides, practices, or games,” Crossley said. “At the end of the day we are playing the same game we have been playing since we were kids.”