What Did We Miss?

Sports highlights from over Winter break
A Utica player absorbing pressure during a game against Houghton University. /Photo courtesy of Kayleigh Sturtevant

Dec. 9: The Women’s Indoor Track and Field team placed first at the Utica Holiday Classic. The team scored 175 points and took five events, with multiple top five finishes. Utica’s Mackenzie Mix placed first in the 300m race. Mix also won the 200m race, earning her a spot at Regionals. Utica’s Nora Divett participated in the long jump and the triple jump, placing first in both events. The 4×100 team of Janaiya Cruz-Bermudez, Noella Burlette, Abrianna Wadley and Jade Denning won their event with a time of 4:20:87.

Dec. 16: Women’s Basketball played at SUNY Morrisville in a non-conference competition. The Pioneers managed to come out on top, beating Morrisville 78-66. Utica’s Vanessa Hall, Haley Burchhardt and Mckenzie Simmons all earned new career highs. Hall scored 24 points, Burchhardt had 21, and Simmons was a threat on both sides of the court with 19 points, five rebounds and four steals. Utica forced 28 turnovers leading to 19 points in transition. The team also shot well from deep going 10 for 26 beyond the arc. The Pioneers stayed in the lead for the majority of the game, forcing Morrisville to take tough shots, and creating optimal scoring chances for themselves. The win was their third of the season, and gave them momentum going into conference play. 

Dec. 29 – 30: The Men’s Basketball team hosted the Utica University Classic. They played against Colby-Sawyer College and Connecticut College over the two day stretch coming out on top in both competitions. The Pioneers nearly reached a 100 point game against Colby-Sawyer, winning 95-60. Utica shot over 50% from beyond the arc and shot 34 for 65 from the field. The Pioneers also performed defensively tallying 13 steals and nine blocks while forcing 18 turnovers leading to 23 points in transition. Utica’s Hagen Foley led the team in scoring, registering a new career high with 19 points, shooting 5 for 6 from beyond the three point line. 

The win advanced the Pioneers into the final round of the Utica University Classic where they faced off against Connecticut College. The Pioneers beat the Connecticut College Camels 66-56. Utica’s Justice Brantley earned the title of Tournament MVP scoring 21 points and tallying 11 rebounds in the final game. Utica was efficient from beyond the arc yet again going 7 for 16. It was a back and forth contest throughout the game but with Brantley’s MVP performance, the Pioneers were able to come out on top, winning them their last non-conference competition before they would head into conference play.

Jan. 5: Women’s Ice Hockey traveled to Pennsylvania to take on the Alvernia University Golden Wolves in a two game series. The first game the Pioneers topped the Golden Wolves with a score of 3-1, giving Utica their 10th win of the season. Utica forward Erica Sheaffer led the team with two goals; this was Scheaffer’s second two goal game of the season.

The Men’s Ice Hockey team hosted the Manhattanville College Valiants on January 5th in their first game of 2024. The game was the team’s first time playing at the Utica University Nexus Center, and their debut did not disappoint. The Pioneers won the game 6-2, scoring their first goal just a minute into the game. Utica’s Eric Vitale and Gabriel Lundberg were able to secure their first collegiate goals for the Pioneers.

Jan. 6: The Women’s Hockey team would play Alvernia University again, coming out on top once again, this time winning the match 4-1. Utica’s Carolyn Whitney got the job done on the offensive side of the rink, netting two goals in the victory. The Pioneers outshot the Golden Wolves 50-14, giving them their second win of the series. 

The Women’s Wrestling team earned their first win of the season and in program history by beating Alfred State 4-0.  Freshman Gillian Mills won her second match of the day by tech fall in 0:44.

Jan. 10: Men’s Wrestling took part in a tri-meet hosted by St. John Fisher University. The team fell short of victory against St. John Fisher, but beat Elmira 38-15. The Pioneers saw four wrestlers win their match against Elmira. Trevor Cortright, Billy Beseth, Seth Richardson and Gage Tedesco all won their matches, earning Utica their second win of the season.

Current Standings:

(At press time on Wednesday, Jan. 24)

Men’s Basketball sits at 14-2 and is undefeated in conference play. Their next match will be at home, against Houghton University on Saturday, Jan. 27.

Women’s Basketball is 5-11 overall and is currently on a one game win streak. Their next game will also be home against Houghton University on Saturday, Jan. 27.

Men’s Ice Hockey is 12-2-3 and is undefeated in the conference. They will face Nazareth College on Friday, Jan. 26.

Women’s Ice Hockey sits at 14-1-2 and is currently undefeated at home. They will also play against Nazareth college on Friday, Jan. 26. 

Men’s Wrestling is currently 2-3 and will be facing Vermont State University Castleton in their next match on Feb. 2.

Women’s Wrestling is 1-10 and will face-off against Elmira College on Sunday, Jan. 28.