‘Into The Woods’: A more realistic approach to original fairy tales

Cast members line up at the opening of the musical.
Jonas America

In the middle of the Strebel Auditorium stage is an elevated space surrounded by four slim bookshelves making up the corners of a house, with the appearance of a library. Sitting on the left side of the stage was a large pink book and on the right side was a navy blue one. They both had gold frames detailing the front and a white accordion wall coming off to the side, giving the appearance of books standing up.

The narrator, played by 13-year-old Caleb Hemming, sat on a bench in the library and began reading a story to the audience. The books opened up to reveal the characters inside, giving the illusion that the audience is peering into the storybooks. Cinderella and her evil step sisters prepared for the ball in the book on the left side, while Little Red Riding Hood entered the house of a childless baker and his wife on the right.

Into The Woods, a musical by James Lapine with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim intertwines the plots of famous Grimm Brothers fairy tales such as “Cinderella”, “Little Red Riding Hood”, “Rapunzel.”

It takes a more realistic approach than the original fairy tales with Cinderella leaving Prince Charming after he kisses the baker’s wife. The addition of sexual innuendos in the relationship between Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf set off laughter in the audience.

The end of the play tied up nicely, with the characters overcoming their differences to defeat a giant. Seeing characters from different stories interact provides a new perspective to these famous fairytales. Cinderella and Jack go to live with the baker and his wife, proving that neither Prince Charming’s castle nor her father’s house are good environments for Cinderella.

Utica University first-year student Hannah Jones played the role of Florinda, one of Cinderella’s evil stepsisters. Jones had been in shows in the past and decided to audition for “Into The Woods’ as a way to meet new people. 

Director Dennis Clark selected a great cast who worked well together even though many of the characters are not Utica University students. The cast of 20 included multiple young actors from local elementary and high schools, with Little Red Riding Hood’s granny being played by a 10-year-old.

The director’s decision to have a young man play the narrator instead of The Mysterious Man as it adds authenticity. Clark said he knew he wanted to have children in the cast because the show’s theme revolves around “stories that children read.”

The amount of talent the young actors displayed was very impressive; I was blown away by their flawless vocals. Much to my surprise, Jones said the actors were not using any microphones. Meaning that they did an amazing job projecting their voices throughout the theater, especially with complicated lyrics.

The set lighting illuminated each scene beautifully, with special effects, like fog adding to the magic. Overall, the combination of talent paired with set design and complicated lyrics made “Into The Woods” a spectacular performance.