Saranac Brewery expands with outdoor Biergarten

118 Views
The Biergraden is located at 830 Varick Street and is open three days a week. Courtesy of Mark Equinozzi | Marketing Director and Brand Manager

Founded in Utica in 1888 by German immigrant Francis Matt, FX Matt Brewing Company, known as Saranac Brewery 135 years later, unveiled a new outdoor 18,000-square-foot space in downtown Utica capable of hosting up to 1,300 people.

In 2016, the company opened the 1888 Tavern to the public which for years just served samples on tours. Now its new outdoor space, the Biergarten, is focused on creating an immersive family experience with its pet-friendly environment, outside seating, games and food such as hibachi and the “Big Matt Burger.”

“We really try to focus on appealing to everyone,” said Mark Equinozzi, marketing director and brand manager at FX Matt Brewery Company. “Whether you want to come grab lunch Thursday or Friday while you’re leaving work or it’s a weekend [and] you want to come out with the family, bring your pets. We try to make it so it’s something where it’s extremely inclusive and there’s something there for everybody.” 

Throughout its history, the brewery has survived prohibition and expanded its product line with its most recent acquisition being the Flying Dog, a brewery located in Maryland. That paired with the Flying Bison Brewery in Buffalo, Lake Placid Brewery, Mckenzie Cider and Kingfisher, an Indian lager beer, the company owns and distributes a wide variety of beverages across the United States all while acquiring zero debt and remaining family-owned and operated through four generations.

“We have a beverage for every drinking occasion and every drinker,” FX Matt’s Chief Sales Office Dave Mevoli said. “We can cover cider, craft beer to really approachable pale ale or lager. So it’s a really unique portfolio to have and to represent.” 

Currently, the company is run by brothers Nick and Fred Matt. And over the past three years, the brewery has seen a $56 million expansion and has become well known for its award-winning IPA “Clouded Dream” which went on to win four gold medals and receive national awards.  

Though the Biergarten will operate on a seasonal basis, the brewery can take advantage of experiential marketing by testing out products on consumers directly to increase creativity. 

“Our brewers like to be creative and we’re always looking to try out something new,” Mevoli said. “And the great thing that this affords us is we can brew… some other style that we’re not necessarily known for and we can test it out amongst consumers…and if something is a hit we bring that out to the commercial public.” 

Equinozzi said the brewery will continue to stick to the roots that were established at the start to continually give customers a quality crafted beer. 

“We will definitely stick with that same mindset and always make sure that we’re making good beer that is going to be drank by good people,” he said. “And we always will make sure to do it in a very inclusive way.” 

“We don’t want to ever be known for anything else besides good beer, good people and inclusivity.”