Justin Allen’s journey to most games played in program history

Justin+Allen%2C+Utica+Mens+Ice+Hockey%2C+pictured+above+on+the+ice+for+the+Pioneers.+

Justin Allen, Utica Men’s Ice Hockey, pictured above on the ice for the Pioneers.

Jacob Pian, Contributing Writer

Justin Allen, a graduate student from Hilton, recently broke the men’s hockey program record for most games played, now holding the record at 111 games. 

The team entering the post-season currently holds down the no.1 spot in the USCHO polls as Feb.20. Allen, a sports management major, and team captain, has been a defensive anchor for the Pioneers this season. 

“Breaking the record for games played is awesome, I pride myself on consistency and I think that speaks to that,” Allen said. “But it wouldn’t have been possible without the trust of my coaches to have me in the lineup.” 

Allen started his career in the 2018-2019 season where he appeared in all 29 games. He finished his freshman season with two goals and 11 assists totalling 13 points, which as a defenseman is impressive for itself.

Not much changed for Allen entering his sophomore season. He played in all 29 games for the team and offensively upped his game.. 

He finished the season with 4 goals and 19 assists totalling 23 points while averaging almost a point per game as a defenseman. Defensively he also had 24 blocked shots. Allen finished the season with a +31 plus/minus and was a main factor in the teams 25-2-2 run that season..

Due COVID-19 in his junior year, Allen and the team played only 10 games. As difficult as the situation was, it allowed Allen to play this season and have a fifth year of eligibility.

When senior year began, Allen was a different player. Career wise had his best season offensively racking up eight goals and a team high 32 assists. His 40 points were also fourth on the team and also led the team with a +35 plus/minus. Allen’s 24 blocked shots was second on the team but in spite of a good year he couldn’t take all the credit. 

“I have to give the credit to my teammates because of how good they are, making it easy for me to excel,” Allen said.

His final season is proving to be a rewarding one with the team ranked no.1 in the nation, Allen is proud to be one of the  team’s captains.

“Being named captain is truly an honor, especially on a team of this caliber and prestige,” he said. 

So far this season, Allen has three goals and 14 assists, totalling 17 points over 18 games played. He has a +20 plus/minus and leads the team with 18 blocked shots.