UC’s gay straight alliance

Briana Greco, Staff Writer

The Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) Club here at Utica College is one of the many clubs on campus that supports students of any race, gender, or sexual orientation. Today, the LGBT communities in our society fights for equal rights, and the GSA at UC stands for the same objectives.

The club takes part in many projects and events, a significant one is the “Take Back Your Prom” event in coordination with the Utica College Programming Board (UCPB). The event gives those who did not have the chance to attend their prom, or attend in the way they wished, to relive the night in whichever way they please. This event in particular is popular amongst students, and is just one of the many projects the club plans each year.

The most recent project that the GSA is starting is session called “Open the Door,” which is a safe space zone for students to share their personal stories and express themselves however they would like.

“It isn’t just for people who identify as LGBTQ, but for anyone who has something they need to talk about,” George Archundia, secretary of GSA, said.

Archundia also said that a benefit to these sessions is there are people in the organization that are Safe Zone trained, therefore there will always be one present. This new concept is starting for the first time this year, and it is unique from anything else the campus has held.

“With my experience, I think ‘Open the Door’ is a good opportunity for students who may not feel comfortable talking openly about their sexuality to actually do so with people like them,” Junior Elliott Coleman said. “It also allows them to sit and talk with other students who have gone through some of the same experiences, to give some insight and advice on it all.”

The “Open the Door” sessions are every Tuesday in the Office of Student Success (White Hall 122) at 8:30 p.m., and all students are welcome.

The GSA also has a drag show in store this semester held on their “Day of Silence,” and they will be holding a Transgender Panel during their Ally Week to raise awareness for transgender living. They will also be taking No H8 pictures outside the café on their “Day of Silence” on April 15.

“I’ve heard of all these cool things the club takes part in and I’m really interested in learning more about the GSA,” Freshman Allie Aceto said. “I would love to attend a meeting to see what its all about.”

The club holds its meetings on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. in Hubbard 104, and would love for people to stop by and join. To keep up with the clubs most recent projects and more information on the GSA, check out its Facebook page.