Breaking: Utica University senior passes away unexpectedly

John+Paul+JP+Ramel+was+a+Utica+University+student+who+was+set+to+graduate+on+May+12.+

Submitted by friends of John Paul Ramel

John Paul “JP” Ramel was a Utica University student who was set to graduate on May 12.

Matthew Breault, Editor-in-Chief

Utica University senior and construction management major John Paul (JP) Ramel has passed away today, according to an email from the Office of the President.

Ramel, who is a native of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, suffered a stroke on Friday, April 8, and passed away earlier today at the age of 22.

Utica University President Laura Casamento informed the campus of Ramel’s passing around 8:30 p.m. in a campus-wide email.

“It is with the deepest regret and sadness that I must inform you of the passing of one of our students,” Casamento said. “John Paul (JP) Ramel, a senior Construction Management major from Bucks County, Pennsylvania, suffered a stroke on Friday and passed away earlier today. The University has contacted JP’s family to extend condolences, and I ask that you keep them in your thoughts at this extraordinarily difficult time.”

Counseling and support services are available to all members of the Utica University community who are mourning the loss of Ramel. Utica University’s Counseling Center can be reached at (315) 792-3094, or [email protected].

This story is breaking and more information will be provided when more information is made available.