After 75 years, Utica College is now Utica University

Alexandria Leland

After 75 years, Utica College will now officially be recognized as Utica University.

Matthew Breault, Editor-in-Chief

After functioning as a university for more than 15 years, Utica College officially achieved university status in New York State and is now known as Utica University.

On Jan. 26, the New York State Education Department (NYSED) Board of Regents vote to change the definition of “university” was adopted. This proposed amendment was first brought to the Board in February 2021 and was officially passed last month.

After this occurred, Utica College immediately filed a charter amendment to the New York State Education Department to receive university status, according to Vice President for Presidential Affairs and Chief Marketing and Communications Officer Kelly Adams

The New York State Board of Regents approved and endorsed the college’s petition to be officially recognized as a university on Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022, according to Adams and President Laura Casamento. 

“This is a proud moment in Utica’s history – the culmination of seventy-five years of innovation in higher learning and unwavering commitment to the communities we serve,” Casamento said. “University status is a mark of how far we have come as an institution, as well as a recognition of our enormous potential for growth and achievement in the years ahead.”

A press conference was held on Feb. 17, in the Cynkus Family Welcome Center, where Casamento and Board of Trustees Chair Robert Brvenik announced to the public that Utica College will now be Utica University.

Although Utica University was considered a “college” under New York State classifications, the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education has considered the school to be a university for more than 15 years. In fact, if Utica College was located in any of the other 49 states, the school would have likely been Utica University when it gained its full independence from Syracuse University in the fall of 2008.

“When you consider the trajectory of how Utica has developed along the vision set out by our founders, it really is a remarkable story and a wonderful tribute to the faculty, students, alumni, and administrators who have nurtured the institution’s growth and maturation,” Adams said.

Past leadership, including former Utica College President Todd Hutton and the Board of Trustees, were a contributing factor for the push to become a university over the past 15 years, according to Casamento. Brvenik said this news has come after years in the making.

“We’ve been anticipating this for the past 15 years,” Brvenik said. “The journey of this institution is nothing short of extraordinary… and there’s a different connotation with [being known as a] university. This is just another milestone for Utica.”

Board of Trustees member Jeremy Thurston, who recently had Utica’s Center for Career Readiness named in his honor, said the name change is important to the institution and it means more than the simple rebrand from college to university.

“It’s nice for the name to represent what the university is about,” Thurston said. “It paints a better picture for people on the outside looking in. It’s really an exciting time.”

According to Casamento, the graduating class of 2022 will have “Utica University” on their diplomas, and former graduates/alumni will be allowed to purchase updated Utica University diplomas. Information about how alumni can get a Utica University diploma is forthcoming.

The transition to the new branding of Utica University will take place over the next several weeks. Accessories and other Utica University merchandise is not available as of yet, but has been ordered and will be arriving sometime this spring. 

Other than the name change and rebranding, the transition from college to university will have no material impact on academic progress, majors, courses and financial aid eligibility. Since Utica has been functioning as a university for some time, the tuition prices and fees are not expected to increase significantly. 

When Utica University was known as Utica College for the past 75 years, many often shortened the name to “UC.” Since Utica University can no longer be referred to as “UC,” administration would prefer to be known as “Utica,” and not “UU.”

“We are not going to go by ‘UU’,” Casamento said. “We are Utica.”

The Tangerine will continue to update information regarding Utica University once more information is available. A series of articles will be published that include information on rebranding, athletics and FAQs about the change from Utica College to Utica University.

One of the many Utica University banners that hang around Utica University’s campus. (Alexandria Leland)