Women’s lacrosse bouncing back after unusual slow start to the season

Photo from Laurel Simer

After starting the season 0-3, the women’s lacrosse team took care of business earlier this week winning against Castleton University and Sage College. Before the season got canceled in 2020, the team was on a hot streak going 4-0 in the first four games of the season.

“We opened up with arguably the toughest three-game schedule in the history of our program,” the team’s head coach Kristin St. Hilaire said. “We played well at times, but those games were certainly highlighted where we need improvement.”

A handful of players stood out during the Castleton game with 14 of them scoring a goal, while junior goalie Claire Frier only let up two goals in 26 minutes. Senior Lauren Wolff put up four points on three goals and one assist along with Sophomore Samantha DeCondo.

Against Sage College, it was an absolute blowout with Utica winning 20-2 and putting up 30 shots in the first half. Eleven different players scored, and the defense and goalies did a great job only allowing two goals. Junior midfielder Lexi Scaccia led the way with four goals and five assists.

“I am very happy with the way our team has progressed and grown over the course of the spring thus far,” St. Hilaire said. “The team did a tremendous job staying positive and working together against those tough opponents and I believe we are a stronger team because of it.”

Starting the season with barely any practice does not help the fact that the first three games were against some tough opponents. Momentum moving forward for the Pioneers, who picked up their first win after dropping the first three games, was something much needed to get the momentum going. Not all games are promised, so every game going down the road will be a test.

“There are a bunch of younger players who have been contributing to the scoring this season. Everyone has been working hard and soon enough we should be getting on a roll,” Sophomore Mackenzie Keane said.

Dealing with COVID-19 has been difficult, along with the whole team not being able to practice together for quite some time. Getting practice time can be challenging to find, with fall sports playing during the spring it takes up field time for the spring sports. With the warm weather approaching the team notes that it feels more like lacrosse season. 

“If we have learned anything from having our season cut short last spring, it’s to never take a single day for granted,” St. Hilaire said. “All we can do is follow all the protocols and guidelines to help ensure we keep ourselves safe and healthy throughout the season.”