Falling in Love with Fall Recipes

As we ring in the fall season, many of us bring back those traditional and much loved fall recipes. With the harvest season ending soon, it’s time to get your hands on those apple and pumpkin ingredients. 

Many popular fall recipes include anything with apples, pumpkin, sweet potato, cinnamon and more. These recipes often correlate with the different holidays that take place during the fall. 

Halloween and Thanksgiving are the perfect times for some to test out different recipes. For example, for Halloween, some might make caramel apples or chocolate covered pretzels. For Thanksgiving, some might make pumpkin, apple or pecan pie, or even sweet potato casserole. 

It’s common for families to have traditional recipes they make every fall season. These could include secret recipes passed down through the generations or ones found online. 

So far this season, I have tried out plenty of different fall recipes that include apples and pumpkins. 

Every year my family and I make fresh apple crisp after going apple picking. We get our recipe from the classic Betty Crocker Cookbook. It is truly “Crispy! Crunchy! Fruity! Flavorful!” as Betty Crocker says.

APPLE CRISP

Ingredients: 

4 cups sliced pared tart apples  (about 4 medium) 

2/3 to ¾ cup brown sugar (packed) 

½ cup all-purpose flour 

½ cup oats 

¾ teaspoon cinnamon 

¾ teaspoon nutmeg 

1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened 

Instructions: 

First heat the oven to 375 degrees. Next grease a square pan that is 8x8x2 inches. Place the sliced apples in pan evenly. Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly in a separate bowl. Then sprinkle mixture over apples. Cut softened butter or margarine into equal sized slices and placed on top and within apples and the mixture. 

Then bake for 30 minutes or until apples are tender with a golden brown topping. Serve warm and if desired, with light cream or ice cream.  This recipe makes 6 servings. 

Another recipe that I like to make during the fall season is pumpkin chocolate chip desserts. Last year I was successful at making pumpkin, cinnamon sugar muffins, and added chocolate chips to half the batch. 

THE BEST PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

This year I made pumpkin chocolate chips mookies. Mookies is a dessert that’s in the shape of a cookie and made like a cookie but has the consistency of a muffin. I found this recipe while scrolling through Pinterest. 

Ingredients: 

1 cup pumpkin (canned) 

I cup white sugar 

½ cup vegetable oil (can be substituted with canola oil) 

1 egg 

1 tbsp vanilla 

2 cups flour 

2 tsp baking powder 

1 tsp cinnamon 

½ teaspoon pumpkin spice (add an extra ½ teaspoon if you like spice) 

½ tsp salt 

1 tsp baking soda 

1 tsp milk 

2 cups chocolate chips 

Instructions: 

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, prep the baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or a baking mat, then set that aside. 

Combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla and egg in a large bowl. Then mix until smooth. 

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt.

Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in the wet ingredients. Then add the flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir well until combined. 

Next add chocolate chips and stir until combined.  Drop cookies on the covered cookie sheet by the spoonful, about 2 inches apart. If desired, add more chocolate chips to the tops of the cookies. 

Bake the cookies for 10-11 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool for 2-5 minutes, then enjoy.  This recipe makes about 24 servings. 

Trying different fall recipes during the harvest season will add fresh smells to your kitchen and tasty treats to your tummy.