Save a life this holiday season

Blood donations are a precious gift

James McClendon, Editor-In-Chief

It’s the season for giving and the thing that is most needed does not have a price tag. The American Red Cross wants to remind the public that the need for blood donations does not go away just because its Christmas.

Many hospitals still rely on a steady supply of donated blood to treat patients and donors of all blood types are desperately needed.

All donations given between Dec. 22 and Jan. 7 will be rewarded with a long sleeve Red Cross T-shirt, while supplies last.

Donors will can set appointments by downloading the Red Cross Blood Donor App, logging on to redcrossblood.org or calling 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767). Donors can also complete the RapidPass online health history questionnaire at redcrossblood.org/rapidpass, to save time.

Donors are asked to bring a blood donor card, a driver’s license or two other forms of identification for check-in. The Red Cross also asks that donors 17 years of age or older (16 with parental consent) weigh at least 110 pounds and are generally in good health to be eligible for donation.

Donations can also be made in nearby counties including Delaware, Herkimer, Otsego and many locations in Oneida County.

For a full list of donor locations, dates and times or any other information visit redcrossblood.org.