Child Life Month comes and goes, importance remains relevant year-round

Photo from Archie Binamira from Pexels.

March was Child Life Month. March is celebrated by hospital workers and their continuous efforts to ensure children’s health, while also making it a comfortable and fun environment for them.

Being a child should be fun and stress-free, which is why children’s hospitals and medical professionals who specialize in pediatrics recognize and celebrate children for who they are. 

Many people throughout America and throughout the world raise money during this month, which goes towards childhood medical research, families who are struggling to pay medical bills and, of course, fun toys and supplies for the children. 

People wishing to donate to the cause can do so in various ways and at any time, not just in March. Many hospitals such as St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Shriners Hospital for Children and so many more take donations throughout the year. 

There are also many places to donate online such as the official Child Life website. Donations can be anything from monetary donations, games of any kind and toys. Anything can help a family and child in need.

The Psych-Child Life (PCL) society at Utica College held a raffle throughout the month.. Students and staff were able to enter the raffle in order to win a “great basket” at the end of the month. All of the money raised will be donated to help children and families.

Psych-Child Life society and the respective major at UC is all about learning how to become involved in childhood growth and development. This can be anything from understanding how a child thinks, to be a family support system and to everything in between. 

Amongst many elements, the main goal is to help ease the stress of a child experiencing illness or developmental problems. Parents and guardians of such children can undergo a lot of feelings such as anxiety, stress, instability and much more. A PCL worker is there to help with situations like this, and once again, help the child enjoy being a child. 

Child life is ongoing, yet during the month of March, it can be a moment to take a step back and really appreciate the medical workers and children. 

During the COVID-19 pandemic, ensuring health and safety from the virus was the main priority, and still is. Therefore, many medical practices are solely taking patients experiencing the virus symptoms. Those who are not exposed to or experiencing symptoms were asked to stay in their homes to stop the spread, resulting in doctor visits on Zoom calls or other conferencing applications. 

The impact was tremendous on children and the mental health of families. With the possibility of being out of a job, caring for ill loved ones and the overall obstacles life offers, it is important to remember and think of others in the process.

Child Life Month allows for people to appreciate and recognize others and remember that just a small donation can make a difference in someone else’s life.