81 Articles Later: “Even though this chapter is ending, I know the next chapter is just beginning”

Design by Alyssa McKenna

As I’m writing this I feel many emotions, and to be quite honest, I am unsure how to start this. So, I guess I’ll start from the beginning. 

I was always into freelance writing, so in college I wanted to try something different and decided to sign up for the Tangerine during my second semester.

When I walked into 106 Hubbard on the first day of spring semester, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into.

By the Fall of 2018, I became the Tangerine Clerk and was part of the news team. That year, I learned about breaking news and the “hustle” that journalism really entails. None of this was more higlighted when I reported on a story about several students who shared photos depicting racial segregation in the dining hall.

Sam Northrup, the Editor-in-Chief at the time, told me about the importance of getting both sides to a story, not just the side that everyone wants to hear. That story won me first place in the Best Print News Story category at the Syracuse Press Club’s annual awards ceremony in 2018, something beyond my wildest dreams.

From there, I continued to learn more. Even though sometimes my opinion was probably not necessary in some cases, I learned how to speak up for myself. The Tangerine really helped me to find my voice, challenge the status quo and to give a voice to the voiceless.  It has challenged me, made me cry, helped me see the other side of things and made me more confident.

I’ve walked out of these past three years with two Syracuse Press Awards and a scholarship from the New York State Women’s Press Club. Even though I am thankful for those things, I am walking away from the Tangerine with things that are more valuable than any award.  

The Tangerine has persuaded me to pursue a master’s degree in journalism at the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. 

My hope for the Tangerine is that it continues to blossom and grow.  It is such a big part of the UC community, even after almost 75  years. I hope future students develop that love for journalism.

I also owe a lot to some amazing people that have helped me along the way in these past three years. Kim Landon, I am so happy that I got to know you. To the past Editors-in-Chief that I’ve worked under; James McClendon and Sam Northrup, I’m so happy that I got to learn from both of you. Professor Chanatry, thank you for always pushing me to my strongest potential and for inspiring me. To our current EIC Maria Silva, thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone, and for being someone I can tell anything to.  You are forever a friend.

Lastly, I would like to thank our adviser Mary Christopher.  Mary, I don’t think any of this would be possible without you.  Thank you for being someone I could count on, and for putting up with all of my shenanigans.  I will miss talking with you after class. You’ve helped me and inspired me in ways that have changed my life.  Continue to share your love of journalism (and your delicious treats) with future Tangerine members.

The sky is the limit at this point, but no matter where I go, I’ll never forget where I started, even 81 articles later.