Active Minds offers de-stressing tips during quarantine

Design by Alyssa McKenna

College students are currently facing the challenges associated with classes fully transitioning online, on top of going through a global pandemic, a weakening economy and social distancing.

This can take a  toll on many of those students, making them feel upset, confused and stressed. When it comes to relieving stress there is no “one size fits all self care,” according to members of Active Minds, an organization on campus that promotes mental health awareness and supports those who have mental health issues.

Active Minds President Mercedes Steele said the organization, as well as UC staff and faculty members, had come up with a list of tips on how to de-stress. This resource provides information about adjustments, structure, self-care and the concept of physical distancing, as opposed to social distancing.

When it comes to adjusting to taking online classes, one of the tips is to start a routine and a plan using a paper or planner. This can help people stay organized and know when assignments are due or what homework needs to be done.

Getting a good amount of rest on a regular schedule can prevent feeling tired or lazy the next day. Sitting around the house can often make people feel that way. When feeling tired, it is okay to take a power nap.

Self-care is another important thing to do during a time like this, according to the advice provided by Active Minds. Now is the perfect time for taking care of oneself.

Phone apps can be a way to engage in self-care. Some examples are the Nike workout app, the Down Dog Yoga app, free books and audiobook offerings through Scribd and the InsightTimer meditation app. 

At home workouts and yoga are great for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  Reading and meditation can help relieve stress and keep a calm state of mind as well. 

Active Minds also encouraged people to use the term physical distancing instead of social distancing since everyone is still staying connected, although not in the same room. 

“We have to acknowledge that we are in this together. We miss going outside, being on campus, seeing people we saw everyday, and just that sense of normalcy,” according to statements made in the most recent Active Minds meeting minutes. 

Some ways to help interact with others without meeting up are study sessions with a friend through Google Hangouts or other video chatting sources, virtual meet ups for coffee or lunch/dinner and maybe even Netflix through a shared screen with friends.