Just in time for Valentine’s

Photo provided by Josie Sgarlata

Grace Barattini, Assistant Features Editor

St. Valentine’s Day was established at the end of the fifth century and to this day still holds to its original meaning of a day associated with love. 

Going as far back as the Middle Ages, though not declared, Valentine’s Day greetings were expressed between significant others or love interests. During this time it was believed in France and England that Feb. 14 was the beginning of mating season for birds. 

Additional reasons added to the idea that Valentine’s Day should be a day for romance and celebrating love and traditions continued to be developed through the centuries. In the eighteenth century, it became popular for friends and partners of all social classes to exchange tokens of affections and handwritten notes. 

According to History.com, Ester A. Howland was known for being the “Mother of the Valentine.” She created extravagant creations with delicate ribbon and vibrant pictures. 

Handwritten notes and handmade creations soon became glamorous printed cards due to the technology advancement rising in the 1900s. Hallmark was one of the first to mass produce a Valentine’s Day card. 

Since then, Valentine’s Day gifts have gotten exorbitant, from huge teddy bears to boxes of roses and gourmet chocolate covered strawberries, spoiling your significant other has gotten outrageous. 

Even though gifts have gotten more elaborate and options for showering your loved one has expanded, Valentine’s Day is only the second largest card giving day in the year, trailing behind Christmas.

Students at UC are celebrating Valentine’s Day this year in many different ways. Whether they’re in a long distance committed relationship or independently thriving Valentine’s Day is able to be celebrated by all. 

Senior Josie Sgarlata has been in a dedicated long distance relationship with her fiancé, who is in the United States Air Force awaiting deployment. 

“My relationship has been long distance for the majority of it,” Sgarlata said. “We see each other about two to three times a year.” 

Though Sgarlata and her fiancé Katelyn see each other infrequently, their relationship is strong because of their communication and close bond. Falling in love with her fiance was amazing, Sgarlata explained. 

“I love how she challenges and pushes me to become the best person I could be,” Sgarlata said. “I also love that she has goals for herself and just watching her achieve them.”

Besides motivating and encouraging each other, Sgarlata and her fiancé love being goofy with each and appreciate each other’s easy going personalities. 

Though Sgarlata and her fiancé have been together for quite some time they have never been able to spend Valentine’s Day together. 

“We have never had a real Valentine’s Day together yet so all we can really do is buy small meaningful gifts for each other,” Sgarlata said. 

Sgarlata pushes through the difficulties of being in a long distance and military relationship, by following her own advice that she gives to others. 

“Relationship advice I would give to people is to really trust yourself in the process. The most important thing is communicating and mutual trust,” Sgarlata said. 

Senior Sandy Moses is an independent young woman who loves celebrating Valentine’s Day. Though Moses is currently single, she has enjoyed multiple Valentine’s Days in the past. 

“I love Valentine’s Day, it’s all about love and I enjoy seeing significant others post about each other on social media and seeing them show affection on this special day,” Moses said. “I also love Valentine’s Day because people vocalize how much they love each other, whether you’re in a relationship or if it’s between family and friends.” 

When asked about being in love, Moses sighs with remembrance and opened up on her experience with past relationships. 

“Being in love was good but at the same time in my case it was one-sided, in a sense where the love I was giving was not being reciprocated back at the level I deserved,” Moses said. “I don’t regret this relationship but instead I realize all the things it taught me about what I want in a person.” 

Speaking for herself and coming from her own experience, Moses offered advice to fellow single UC students. 

“Learn to be comfortable in your own skin and take the time to treat yourself and love yourself, eventually the right person will come around to appreciate everything you have to offer,” Moses said.