Students react to Grammy Awards

Hope Russo, Staff Writer

The Grammys were just part of the kick off to the upcoming 2020 award season. The excitement from viewers to watch their favorite celebs strut the red carpet and sweep up those awards was different than years past. 

The Recording Academy Awards were held on Jan. 26 in Los Angeles and recognized music talents and big hits of 2019.

Among the  highly anticipated performers were Lizzo, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, The Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato and many more. 

“Ariana’s performance was really great,” said Julianna Zegarelli, a graduate student at UC. “When she took off her ring and put it back in the box, it was like closing a chapter in her life.” 

With the loss of Kobe and Gianna Bryant breaking earlier that day, fans across the globe were mourning and many artists remembered the NBA player at the Staples Center, where Bryant played during his 20-year career with the Lakers.

At the age of 18, Billie Eilish along with her brother Phineas, took home five Grammy awards. Including album, song, pop vocal album, record and new artist of the year. 

“I think it’s awesome that Billie Eilish and her brother won so many awards,” Zegarelli said. “They literally wrote songs together in just their room.” 

Other winners included first-time nominee Lizzo, Rosal and Tyler, The Creator. Lizzo was awarded with best pop solo performance. 

“She puts on an awesome performance,” Patterson said. 

Tyler, The Creator also took home his first Grammy this year.

“It was interesting that Tyler, The Creator expressed how grateful he was for the recognition,” Zegarelli said. “But that he wished it wasn’t under the ‘urban’ category and would’ve preferred it just be pop. I did want Ariana to win though, her album was so successful.” 

Junior Bailey Hryb said that there were some shocking winners even though every award was “well deserved.”