‘Urinetown: The Musical’ set to take Stage this Weekend

Rehearsal photos by Gianna Cognetti.

The Utica College Theatre Department will present “Urinetown: The Musical” on Nov. 7, 8 and 9 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 10 at 2:00 p.m. in Strebel Auditorium.  

The show takes place in a dystopic, future society that experiences a water shortage. A company known as Urine Good Company regulates the water consumption by placing a fee on public urinals.

“It’s a very funny show with a super goofy concept poking fun at our own shortcomings in society and musicals in general,” Director Nicholas Abounader said.

Abounader describes the hard work that he along with the rest of the production crew put in to make the show a success. Many challenges are faced when putting on a production, such as scheduling the needed amount of time for each aspect of the show in order for everything to come together as smoothly as possible.  

“Between blocking, music, dance, sets, lights, all the actors and all of the crew members, the director has a lot to think about when putting something like this together,” he said.

A common concern the director and crew members are plagued with during rehearsals is the fear of the unknown final product of the show. Questions such as, “will this all come together in time?” or “will everything be ready?” are worries that arise close to show time. 

“I never met Dr. (Marijean) Levering, the former matriarch of the theater department here at UC but she was known to say something that echoes through in all theatrical productions. ‘It will all work out because it has to,’” Abounader said. 

Final rehearsal night is Abounader’s favorite part of the production. He said he is able to sit back and breathe in relief that there is nothing left for him to do.

Tickets will be sold at the door and are for $15 general admission and $10 student admission.