Ordering in: Delivery Apps that Bring Food Right to Students!

Source: ubereats.com
Source: ubereats.com

If you live on campus and do not have a car — or just don’t feel like driving — there are many helpful apps that bring the food to you.

Ordering in:Delivery apps that

bring the food right to students!

Apps like Uber Eats, DoorDash and GrubHub deliver from many popular local restaurants and chains such as Carmella’s, Zebb’s, Chipotle, Taco Bell and more.

No matter what food you are craving, there are many options. For example, on DoorDash, you can pick from different categories such as Thai food, Mexican food, sushi and more. The app has a total of 130 restaurants that can be delivered to your doorstep. Whichever food choice you desire, these apps help satisfy your cravings with the press of a button.

Junior Ryan Berman uses DoorDash and likes it because of the convenience.

“I used DoorDash a few times when I didn’t feel like going out or driving to get food,” Berman said. “I mainly used it so far to get Chipotle a few times. It’s really convenient, I like using it because it just makes life easier when you don’t feel like moving. It’s pretty easy to use, you just add what you want to your cart and order it. It comes pretty quick, too.”

Some Utica College students are familiar with the apps, although they have not gotten the chance to try them yet, like sophomore Alma Musedinovic.

“I would like to try using them, but I live like 20 minutes away in the middle of nowhere, so no one really delivers out there,” Musedinovic said. “It’s the same thing with Uber. I can’t even get Uber where I live, but I would like to if I could.”

Sophomore Isaiah Samuels has also heard of the apps but has chosen to stay away from them in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

“I’ve heard of Uber Eats, but I never tried it,” Samuels said. “I don’t like eating too much junk, I try to eat pretty healthy. I heard from other people that it’s really good, I just never tried it.”

Some students, like sophomore Katie Welcome, are put off by the apps because of the delivery fees.

Different apps have different fees that range in price, increasing the amount of your order. These fees vary from app to app, but on DoorDash the fees typically range from around $1.99-$3.99 added on to your order. DoorDash offers an unlimited “free” delivery service called DashPash subscription.

UberEats delivery fees range from around $2.99-$8.99 and are based on a sliding scale that depends on distance. The closer the restaurant is, the cheaper the delivery fee will be.

The subscription gives users free delivery on orders over $15. The subscription costs $9.99 a month, which can add up quickly, especially for college students.

“I’ve heard of them, but I never used them because I don’t feel like it and a lot of them have those weird charges added on to your order — the delivery fees,” Welcome said.

For some students, the workload makes it difficult to find time to cook.

“I like using it because it makes life easier when I have to study or write a paper,” Berman said. “Instead of running out and wasting time getting food at a restaurant, you can just get it delivered to you and not waste any time cooking or anything like that. It helps to save time and get things done.”

DoorDash is an on-demand food service that was created by Stanford Students Andy Fang, Stanley Tang, Tony Xu and Evan Moore. Currently, it is available in more than 600 cities across North America. Uber Eats was started by Uber in 2014. When you order, both apps let you “track” where your food so that you know when it will arrive.