Students Prepare for Employment at Mock Interview Day

Freshman Diandra Smith is ready for Mock Interview Day. Photo by Debra Born.

UC’s Center for Career and Professional Development is offering Mock Interview Day on April 10 from 1-4 p.m.

The center is bringing in employers and Human Services recruiters to provide students with interviewing feedback. The companies are premier contacts of UC who attended the college’s Career and Internship Fair in March.

A practice interview will last 45 minutes and will consist of a half-hour interview session and 15 minutes of feedback. Each attendee will be matched with a company relevant to their major.

Students are excited about the opportunity to practice their interviewing skills.

“It prepares you for your future,” said Diandra Smith, an animal behavior major. “I did one in high school so I think they’re very important.”

Smith said that some people may have a harder time in an interview situation than others.  

“I’m a ‘people person’ so I don’t struggle with it too much, but I like to do mock interviews,” Smith  said.

The Center for Career and Professional Development has been sending out emails and fliers to promote the event.

“It’s a safe environment and good opportunity to practice and to network,” said Kailea Murray, assistant director of employer relations/campus employment. “The employers come because they want to recruit UC students.”

Murray called the event a “soft recruiting tool.”

“It’s a company’s way of getting their name and brand out there,” Murray said.

The Mock Interview Day has been hosted at UC for the past three consecutive years.

“The student feedback for the event is always really positive,” Murray said. “We provide the employers with the student’s resume, but they critique it on paper also.”

Murray said that people are sometimes nervous to register for Mock Interview Day.

“It’s the safest environment ever,” she said. “You can be a freshman with no knowledge about the interviewing process or a senior who has done three interviews and it will be perfect for you. Practice makes perfect.”

Each of the employers attended UC’s Career and Internship Fair on March 6.

“They’ve all been on campus; they all hire UC students,” Murray said.

Many students only consider career services when they become a senior.

“We just want to get people early,” Murray said. “We are trying to make our programming so that it catches all levels.”

Maleyah Butler, junior in the health studies major, said she would “definitely” recommend the Mock Interview Day to other students.

“It gives you practice before you get into the real world,” Butler said.  

Butler has done a practice job interview in one of her classes.

“It did build my confidence, so I know what to expect now,” Butler said.

Gloria Hopkins is a junior in the occupational therapy health studies major. Hopkins wants to attend the event next year when she is a senior because she said the practice would help boost her confidence and interviewing skills.

“The whole job interview process is intimidating,” Hopkins said. “Definitely practice is necessary.”

Hopkins said the event will help prepare students for that interviewing process.

“How can you go into something without knowing what to expect?” she said.

Materjay Kenneh is a junior in the health care management major.

“I’m interested in the event because hopefully I’ll be graduating next May,” Kenneh said. “It will be good practice for when I do start interviewing.”

Kenneh has interviewed for jobs before.

“Interviewing for real is scary,” Kenneh said. “The more practice, the better to prepare you.”

Other students commented on the benefits of the event.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity,” said Ethan Tremblay, a freshman in the construction management major. “I think interviewing is a skill everyone has to have and can improve.”

Tremblay said it was “smart” to bring in employers who were also at the Career Fair.

“It’s probably a really good way to get your foot in the door because it shows that you are applying yourself,” Tremblay said. “It’s always good to apply yourself.”

Tremblay also talked about other events that UC’s career office provides.

“I was surprised how much Utica offers students that help them when they get out of college and with their careers,” Tremblay said. “Every two weeks I get an email from the Career Services office.”

The employers and HR recruiters come to the event with significant interviewing experience.

“It’s like constructive criticism,” said freshman Jahren James, business management major. “And it will prepare you for real job interviews.”

James wants to attend the event and would encourage more students to participate.

“I’d recommend it because you’re going to go through an interview when you get out of college,” James said. “And the employers at this event will tell you what they thought of you as an interviewer and as a person. So whatever they give you you can use to your advantage.”

Mock Interview Day continues to have good reception from students each year.

“I’ve never heard anything negative,” Murray said. “Every student walks away saying it was so helpful.”

You can sign up for this event in Center for Career and Professional Development in 122 White Hall.