Students React: Bryce Vine Performs at UC

Source%3A+billboard.com
Source: billboard.com

This past Saturday, March 23, students gathered in the Clark Athletic Center to watch a performance by rising artist Bryce Vine.

Doors opened at 6 p.m. and the concert was free to students with the option to bring three friends for $15 per guest. For $35, students also had the chance to meet Vine. Other artists opened for Vine, including local rappers Wan Blvd and Leekyxiv.

Vine is a singer from New York City and had his first hit in 2018 with the song “Drew Barrymore,” which made it to 47 on the Billboard Hot 100 and later climbed to 19 on the Pop Songs Chart in September. He other songs include “Sour Patch Kids” and “La La Land.” His sound is “East-meets-West Coast,” and draws influence from bass-heavy reality rap, the spirit of punk rock and pop, according to his Spotify page.

Wan Blvd, also known as Juwan Wilson, is a former UC student from Queens who made the transition from being an All-American athlete to a rapper in 2017.

Leekyxiv, otherwise known as Malik Johnson, is from Highland Falls, N.Y., and attended Suny Poly where he played basketball. He got his hip-hop name from wearing the number 14 on the court.

Senior Ariana Rubb went to the concert and was disappointed at the turnout.

“I think it would have been better if there were more people,” Rubb said. “I wish there were more people there at the concert who were on campus, who were doing nothing that night but staying in their rooms, that came out to the show.”

Rubb was glad she went and said she had a good time with her friends, but she also had some suggestions for a better concert.

“The local artists that came were really good, but the bass was too loud and you couldn’t really hear them that well,” Rubb said. “I think they need to change how they do that for the future.”

Some students missed out on the event because of work schedules, including senior Edward Yeboah. Yeboah said that, even if he did not have to work, he probably would not have attended the concert because he is a commuter student.