Music Review: J. Cole’s ‘Middle Child’

Source%3A+complex.com
Source: complex.com

Do we bother, or has he come back again to bless pop culture with another hit-and-bop of the next season?

J. Cole started off the year strong with his latest single, “Middle Child.” The song is officially a success on the Billboard charts.

The rapper’s new track started off by debuting at No. 26 on the chart after only a few days of streaming. Now, after its first full week, it has taken a tremendous leap over many great songs to earn one of the top five spots on the Billboard chart at No. 4.

I believe that this song is undeniably creative. He pays homage to the fact that he has studied and tried to figure out his style by piecing together those who came before him, inspired him and paved the path to his career.

In the song, Cole talks about how he feels as if he has been counted out of the same music industry. He also bluntly says that the artists worth living have passed away, and artists who do not deserve to be shining are doing so.

He further talks about his no-pills lifestyle and personality. Most hip-hop artists constantly sing and brag about drugs, sex and money, while J. Cole decided not to conform to the majority and do the opposite.

In the majority of his music, Cole is not afraid to say that he does not do any drugs. But he is not one to isolate the ones that do either, as he has friends who are for drugs and alcohol use. J. Cole continues to talk real-life struggle at a moment of not feeling as though he belongs to either generation of people, before him or after him.

He has several references to African-American struggles, as well as all they have endured across generations. Cole spares no detail or fails to mention the gang violence with young minority people; males especially are killing each other for what he explains as no reason at all, which is aiding the things setting up people in the community to fail.

Cole seems to have a genuine fear of being stuck in the middle of the generations with inability to relate to either generation.

J. Cole is truly a great artist that I have followed from the beginning of his career to present day. He never seems to let me down with his conscientious music. I vote to go and download the song and check it out. If you do not like it, or his music does not do it for you, give it a chance to grow on you. There will be no harm done for the three minutes and 33 seconds that he has for your ears.

But be warned: profanity is definitely a part of the artistic layout of this artist, but his point is definitely made when telling the story of his truth and life realities.