Anticipation is Building for Thanksgiving Break

Source%3A+http%3A%2F%2Fcraves.everybodyshops.com
Source: http://craves.everybodyshops.com

Debra Born, Contributing Writer

Utica College is buzzing with excitement as Thanksgiving break approaches and students anticipate going home for fun holiday activities.

Giovanna Barile is a freshman biology major and is ready for Thanksgiving break.

“I am very excited,” Barile said. “I haven’t been home since, I think, two weeks after fall break. I miss my little brother, so I’m excited to see home.”

Barile’s plans for break include spending time with her family and decorating for Christmas.

“I always go to my aunt’s house for Thanksgiving dinner,” Barile said. “All like 28 of us go and have Thanksgiving there.”

Craig Gazzilli, a freshman in the Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation major, is also excited about Thanksgiving break.

Gazzilli enjoys the food, spending time with family and playing football with his friends on the holiday. He is on UC’s football team and anticipates the Bowl game that UC was chosen to play in because of their game record.

“It’s exciting to practice one more week and maybe win,” Gazzilli said. “If we won, we’d be the first football team in UC history to win.”

Time off of classwork is welcome for UC students.

“A break off of school is good,” Gazzilli said. “I’m looking forward to a week off.”

Gazzilli is most anticipating spending time with his family.

“We’re all kinda busy, so that’s the day we all get to hang out and talk and share what’s going on,” Gazzilli said.

“I’m excited for Thanksgiving in general,” said Stefanie Puma, a junior in the Sports Communication and Public Relations major.

“I’m looking forward to eating,” Puma said. “Homemade stuffing is my favorite.”

Matt Bertollo is a grad student majoring in History and Adolescent Education. The last time Bertollo was home was fall break and Bertollo is anticipating “going home, seeing my family, and having that break from school.”

Bertollo’s family is large as he is one of 10 children.

The large dinner is exciting for most students who haven’t had many home-cooked meals all semester and food was a common theme as students talked about Thanksgiving.

“I am most looking forward to food,” Barile said. “I haven’t had homemade food in, like, forever.”

The students enjoy different types of Thanksgiving foods.

“Usually lasagna or ham is my favorite part [of Thanksgiving dinner],”  Gazzilli said.

Other students couldn’t choose one Thanksgiving dish that was their favorite.

“I just like food,” Bertollo said.

However, students also talked about what they were thankful for at the Thanksgiving holiday.

“I’m thankful for my family and friends, just because they are a huge support as I go through my graduate studies,” Bertollo said.