Let’s Talk about Art Club

Digital Artwork by Emmalyn Ylaya

Emmalyn Ylaya, Staff Writer

This semester,  Student Government Association (SGA) approved the Art Club as part of the multiple organizations offered on campus. The club welcomes students with an interest in art of all kinds; painting, drawing, film and more.

The purpose of Art Club is to spread love and enjoyment of art throughout campus and encourage students and faculty to express themselves creatively regardless of their skill level.

President Rebecca Manning is a junior who has many plans for the Spring semester.

“We do this by hosting open studio times, workshops, and other events,” Manning said. “For Spring 2019 we’re hoping to have a field trip to Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, collaborate with Ampersand for a launch party, and more.”

Open studio times are held in the Art Room (Hubbard Hall 201) from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. for anyone interested in creating their own masterpiece. The school has provided the club with new art supplies such as paint and other much needed supplies.

As of this semester, the Art Club has had a bake sale and open paint event.

“We’ve made one hundred dollars from our bake sale, which will be put in more art supplies,” Manning said. “Our open paint had a good turnout and we are hoping to make those a monthly event.”

Fine Arts Professor, Frank Cittadino and Art Club advisor, is very pleased with the club members enthusiasm.

“We’re so fortunate to have an enthusiastic group of creatives guiding our Utica College Art Club,” Cittadino said. “They have fantastic ideas for you to participate in judgement free art making activities based on your ability to make art. You’ll find that art can be really relaxing and enjoyable, which is a great way to develop your ability to think creatively and think of new ideas.”

Freshman Mia Francis serves as the Webmaster. She is in charge of keeping the club’s social media and Pioneer Place updated with news and artwork produced by members.

“I joined Art Club to have some relaxation time from school work and do something to express my creativity,” Francis said. “I enjoy being the Webmaster and promoting the events we do in Art Club.”

Junior Kassidy Krenzer is also a member. She joined the club because she is in love with art.

“I don’t always have the time or materials to do some artwork on my own,” Krenzer said. “Joining the club helped me set aside time to do what I love. I would recommend this club to a friend as it is a new club that many might not know of yet.”

Sophomore Jason Houn joined to be around like-minded people when it came to art.

“I joined Art Club because I wanted to be around people who love art, especially those who don’t want to boast about their art abilities or criticize mine,” Houn said. “I believe this club would further my passion for art. I enjoy this club and have a faith for it. I wish more people were involved with this organization. If Art Club can rejuvenate my passion and inspire me to do more, then it can do the same for anyone else.”

Art Club meets Mondays at 1:30 p.m. in Hubbard Hall 105. If you are interested, contact President Rebecca Manning at [email protected]. Follow them on social media @uticacollegeartclub (Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook), and @uc_artclub on Snapchat.