‘The Nun’ Scares the Holy Crap Out of You

Source: Josie Sgarlata

Josie Sgarlata, Staff Writer

Since it is now October and Halloween is right around the corner, it is officially “spooky season” for Utica College students.

Going to the Marquee Cinema with a couple of friends on a rainy, fall day is always a great option, especially if you enjoy horror movies like I do.

I am very picky about the horror films that I watch. I really enjoy paranormal-type movies, so I had to go to the theatre and watch “The Nun” since it is said to be a spinoff of “The Conjuring” movies.

“The Nun” is set in 1952 at Abbey of St. Carta in Romania. Father Burke, who specializes in the supernatural, and Sister Irene, a novice, were sent to investigate a nun’s mysterious suicide at a monastery on the Vatican’s order.

It is discovered that there is a sinister demon who dresses up as the nun to mock the church.

Sister Irene was quick to realize that there was something wrong about the place and knew that there was an evil demon that “hides within.” Not armed with anything but their faith and inner strength, they go after this demon to fight it and see if they can soon destroy it and protect everyone else.  

I had higher expectations for this movie than what was presented. It had many “jumpy” scenes in it, which I actually enjoyed, but I feel like it also moved a bit slow. It could have also had more action scenes and more of the story behind the demon and how it got there in the first place.

They did a good job with all of those jumpy scenes, but I personally don’t think it lived up to the hype.

Without spoiling too much, I will say I enjoyed a reference that was made to “The Conjuring” towards the end of “The Nun” because I really like movies that intertwine with one another.

Freshman Megan Chamberlain thought the movie was “extremely scary.”

“I love scary movies, the jumpy parts really left me not being able to sleep at night,” Chamberlain said.

Chamberlain thought it was one of the scariest movies that she has ever seen.

“Scary movies have always been a favorite of mine, paranormal movies always leave my spine in chills,” Chamberlain said.

Sophomore Katherine LeRoy said she really enjoyed “The Nun.”

“The movie was very scary,” LeRoy said. “They had very good pop-out scenes, which made me jump 10 feet in the air. I almost started crying because it was so scary. Almost every scene left me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next.”

Sophomore Jeslyn Files also really enjoyed “The Nun” because of the jumpy parts.

“There was a lot of jumpy parts, so you just didn’t know what was going to happen next,” Files said. “A lot of things caught me off guard and I also like the setting because there are not many horror films that have to do with the Church. I also like how the movie just came out and it is getting close to Halloween, so this is a great movie to watch to get yourself in the Halloween spirit.”