Transfer students adjust

Amanda Fanelli

Staff Writer

Students change colleges for many reasons, whether it is coming from a two-year community college, changing their major, or because they want to be closer to home. There is always an adjustment period they go through. This semester Utica College welcomed 150 new transfer students.

Amanda Paladino, a first-semester transfer student, just completed her first week of classes here at UC.

“I transferred to Utica College because it is closer to home and most of my credits transferred,” Paladino said.

Paladino is hoping to have a great academic experience and believes that her experienced professors will give her the tools she needs to further her journalism career. Paladino said the staff at UC has been very helpful in getting her settled in and organized to start her career at UC.

After her first week, Paladino “isn’t feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work expected of her compared to SUNY Oneonta.”

Brianna Pulicini transferred in the fall semester of 2014 as a junior. Pulicini previously attended Finger Lakes Community College and came to UC because of “the great occupational therapy program, the small size, and the fact that it is less than two hours from my house.”

Now a senior, Pulicini said UC offers students more support than her previous college. Pulicini feels her professors are preparing her well for her career. Pulicini enjoys living in the dorms and said her RAs were there to help her and answer any questions she had.

“My advice is to get involved with the many clubs and organizations on campus,” Pulicini said. “When I first transferred here, I met so many people that way.”

Pulincini is involved in the Health Studies Student Society, Student Occupational Therapy Association, and Colleges Against Cancer.

Alyssa Ursi, a second-semester junior, came to Utica College in the spring semester of 2015. Ursi previously attended Mohawk Valley Community College where she received her Associates degree in accounting. Ursi enjoys the smaller structure of the classroom and the amount of people that attend the college.

“There are a lot more opportunities for on-site job experience,” Ursi said. “Utica College makes it easier to find internships and gives you a chance to get your foot in the door.”

Ursi likes that her professors bring real-life experiences into the classroom.

“They are all very knowledgeable in their field,” Ursi said. “It’s awesome to hear some of their stories.”

Ursi advises incoming transfer students to explore everything they can at UC.

“The transfer process can get very stressful, but you just have to remember that there is so much to experience at UC,” Ursi said. “The networking you can make is amazing. UC and the professors really help you get set up for the future.”

Transfer students have many opportunities on campus. Getting involved in campus life and the many organizations, clubs and sports offered will not only help students meet new people and build lifelong relationships, but it will also help prepare them for their careers.

Prospective transfer students have the opportunity to arrange a visit, read student blogs and “UC stories” about previous transfer students’ experiences. Admitted transfer students can attend the transfer student orientation offered before the semester begins. Throughout the semester, admitted transfer students can also attend informational sessions.