Parents: To Call or Not to Call?

Source: thetango.net
Source: thetango.net

Gavin McCann, Staff Writer

Throughout the course of a college semester, students are always occupied, whether they’re in class, studying or having fun with friends. This can make it hard for students to take some time to talk to their parents.

There are students whose parents ask them to call as a way for them to know how things are going.

“My parents actually have a rule and make me call them at least three times a week to let them know how things are going at school,” junior Mike Canino said. “ To be honest, it’s kind of hard to remember because I have so much going on and I hate having to stop what I’m doing just to call my parents. On the other hand, I understand it. They just want to make sure I’m okay and doing what I’m supposed to be doing.”

For other students, not talking to their parents all the time is considered to be a good thing.

“My parents have a pretty relaxed approach when it comes to staying in contact with them,” sophomore Jake Cavanaugh said. “They figure that if they haven’t heard from me in a couple of days, it means I’m busy and doing what I’m supposed to be doing and that if I’m constantly trying to talk to them that means there’s probably something wrong.”

While other students see talking to their parents while at school as a burden, there are some students who find it positive and uplifting.

“I love calling my parents, it’s actually something that I look forward to,” senior John Franchi said. “I know that whenever I need someone to talk to, they’ll be there to listen and to also give me advice.  I could call home at 7 p.m. on a Wednesday night and spark up a conversation about anything and be on the phone for hours.”

For Franchi, calling his parents is another alternative to relieve stress.

“If I’m having a hard time writing a paper I can call my folks up and they somehow know how to get me going. The power of parents is a beautiful thing,” Franchi said.

Going away for college can be hard for some students, who can find it tough having to live on their own at first. For some, like freshman Donovan Felder, going away means getting away from your parents.

“One reason why I wanted to go away to school, was to get away from my parents and to get the full college experience,” Felder said. “Don’t get me wrong, I love my parents but I lived with them for 18 straight years. I want to experience living on my own. Usually I’ll talk to them once a week.”

When Felder first got to school, he was bombarded with messages from his parents while in class or hanging out with friends.

“I didn’t want to be known as the freshman who was always on the phone with their parents so I made a deal that I’d call every Sunday night and give them an update on how things are going,” Felder said.