We Are UC: Taneill Davis

Contributed by Taneill Davis

“We Are UC” highlights the people who thread the fabric of the Utica College community. These profiles are written from the perspective of the subjects themselves.

Story by Whitney Morris, photo provided by Taneill Davis

I chose Utica College because my aunt went here in 2004. I had the opportunity when I was younger to come visit her, and I liked the idea of having a small-school setting. I knew that I would have better access to my professors, and I liked the energy here.

My name is Taneill Davis, and I am a senior from Long Island. I am happy at UC because the people I’ve met have really helped me to learn and grow. I think I’ll be able to call the people I’ve met here my friends for a very long time. Though UC was not all that I expected it to be after starting off on the wrong foot with my roommate, I used the experience to help me in my decision to become an RA so that others wouldn’t have to go through what I did. I also wanted to help others create a better sense of community. I feel the most accomplished when I am helping others, no matter how big or small.

I’ve had my fair share of involvement on campus throughout the years. My first year I was involved in the theatre club and the choir. I was also an RA and a member of the volleyball team until my first semester senior year. I am currently still on the Diversity Committee and a brother of Alpha Phi Omega. I’ve also been involved with the Black Student Union, Open Moments and I took part in leadership weekend.

After having the opportunity to lead other students, I feel like I can be most effective shaping teachers as well as making them aware of skills and tools they can use to help students stay interested in my future career. I’ve always wanted to be an elementary school teacher. However, now that it’s my senior year, I’m thinking about continuing with my degree to become an administrator. I want to be able to teach students of diverse backgrounds effectively.

UC is unique in my eyes because of the people that are here. I’ve never had friends from so many different places. In addition, the student leaders are a unique part of this campus. They are the drive behind a lot of the change that has been seen on campus. I think it’s pretty amazing what these student-run organizations can collectively and individually do. With that, I live by the philosophy in life that God helps those who help themselves.