Op-Ed: Local eats; The Spaghetti Kettle

The Spaghetti Kettle’s tasty fried calamari. Photo by Georganne Jadhon

Georganne Jadhon, Staff Writer

The Spaghetti Kettle is a local family style Italian restaurant in Clinton. It opened in 1980 and is owned and operated by Bill Demma. The restaurant is a few minutes outside of Utica, but those few extra minutes are worth the drive for the delicious food.

Demma’s main goal is to always provide customers with high quality food, good service and reasonable prices. He sets the restaurant’s tone by welcoming and inviting to all customers the moment they step inside.

For the past 37 years, Demma has run his restaurant with pride in serving some of the best Italian dishes in the area. He even stands next to where the servers receive their food for the tables to make sure everything looks good and is hot for the customers.

The atmosphere of Spaghetti Kettle on a busy Friday night was welcoming. The staff, Demma and his wife all had big smiles on their faces while handling the chaos of hungry customers. They made sure to greet everyone who came through the door and the owner walked through the restaurant welcoming his customers while they sat down.

My family and I were seated within five minutes of waiting for a table and our waitress came right over. She went over all of the specials offered that night and brought us some warm garlic bread for us to enjoy while looking over the menu.

Besides the delicious-sounding specials, the menu had various items, such as a big pasta dish with the choice of meatball or sausage for no additional charge, to chicken, veal, seafood or steak. Each dish comes with a salad and a side. It took us all a while to decide on what to order. I chose the chicken marsala, which I would highly recommend. Not only did it come with two huge pieces of chicken, but it also came smothered in a white wine sauce with a generous amount of mushrooms.

On the side, I ordered steamed broccoli, which was cooked to perfection. The entire family was happy with their meals, and the service was outstanding. Megan did an amazing job and she kept a smile on her face throughout the night even though the restaurant was slammed.

Megan has been working at Spaghetti Kettle for five years and is married to the owner’s son. She takes pride in helping at the family business.

“I couldn’t imagine myself working anywhere else,” Megan said. “I enjoy the people that I work with and I love working dinner shifts.”

Megan loves where she works because everyone she works with is like family to her.

“Everyone is so close here and it’s like a big happy family. Even the customers feel like family to all of us,” Megan said. “It’s just a fun place to work and it’s never boring.”

The Spaghetti Kettle is another great Italian style restaurant located in the Utica area. Not only are the portions huge, but they are also delicious. Next time you’re in the mood for a nice, big, delicious meal go try the Spaghetti Kettle for great food and awesome service.

-The Spaghetti Kettle is located at 7756 NY-5, Clinton.

-Visit the website to view the full menu at http://www.spaghettikettle.com