UC hosts first breast cancer awareness walk

Amajla Tricic, Staff Writer

Last Wednesday, Utica College held its first annual breast cancer awareness walk at Duffy Plaza. The walk was put on by the Women In a New Direction (WIND) organization.

For an organization that seeks to empower women, the decision to host the event was an easy one as it raises awareness for breast cancer.
“Breast cancer is one of the most important things to discuss which is why we support it,” Danielle Rosemberg, a member of WIND, said. “This is an awareness event and it’s also a walk, so it’s giving helpful information while also supporting a good cause.”

According to BreastCancer.Org, breast cancer is the most highly diagnosed cancer in women and one in eight develop invasive breast cancer. In addition, 252,710 new cases are expected, along with 63,410 non-invasive in the United States. While rare in men, 7,410 will be diagnosed with non-invasive breast cancer.

Before the walk was scheduled, many of the members had displayed facts and statistics surrounding breast cancer taboos and truths. They also offered tips involving self breast exams, which can easily be done at home. They also stressed the importance of seeing a doctor if anything appears to be wrong as well as going in for annual checkups.

President Laura Casamento attended the walk and mentioned the importance of shedding light on breast cancer together as a campus and how serious the cause is.

“First of all, I’m here to support the students and the fact that they are getting together for this cause,” Casamento said. “Secondly, I think it would be hard to find someone whose circle of family and friends is not directly affected by this, so the more people that can come out and support breast cancer, all cancers and all illnesses, and raise awareness, the better. It’s a gorgeous day and I wanted to be here.”

Casamento was also thrilled that the campus was able to get together for an event that students and faculty would be able to attend without having to leave campus.

“People have busy lives and they can’t always make events, but the fact that we are having one here is great,” said Casamento.

Marissa Verdon, a sophomore, also agrees that it is helpful to have awareness on campus for unity.

“I think it’s good that we are doing something on campus supporting awareness, fundraising and letting students get involved, especially for those who can’t make it to other events around the city,” Verdon said. “Anything we can do is important. Breast cancer is a big thing in October, and I know several people who have battled breast cancer and came back and won. To be able to give back to the community means we acknowledge survivors and those still fighting.”

Many of the students and faculty on campus shared their stories of losing friends and family members to breast cancer, exemplifying the seriousness and devotion many feel trying to fight for a cure.

With one successful walk commemorating those who lost their lives and those fighting, Casamento hopes to see many more to come.

“Hopefully we will keep doing it and it will get bigger and bigger,” she said. “I am really proud of the students and I think it’s a wonderful thing they are doing.”