HomeGoods opening soon, students react

Source: Rome Sentinel

Kaitlyn Phillips, Staff Writer

When moving away from home, making your living space comfortable within a budget is very important.

The nearest places students can get simple things like a comforter, rug and a lamp in Utica are Target, Walmart or T.J.Maxx, and now on Sunday, Oct. 22, located in Sangertown Square, HomeGoods will be added to that list.

Established in 1992, HomeGoods is an off-price home furnishing store providing a tremendous amount of popular name brand items from 20 to 60 percent less. The different types of merchandise that are sold include tableware, decorative accents, storage accessories, wedding gifts and even a toy section for kids.  

The students at Utica College welcome the new addition to the mall.

“HomeGoods is cool because it’s not just a feminine store,” sophomore Leland Frink said. “Most guys really aren’t into decorating our rooms to match our pillows and all that, so it’s cool to go there and get stuff like flannel sheets or a good pillow. The prices are also really great because on a budget I don’t want to spend more than I have to.”

When going to college, it can sometimes be hard to make your living space feel like home while staying on a budget. Many places are too pricey for the average college student, but Homegoods is an option for great deals on the “back to school basics.”

Students are not only excited for the home decor but also for the many other options the store provides.   

“I think HomeGoods is good for the home and heart,” junior Jenessa McCabe said. “The store provides a lot of basic necessities for one’s home for every type of person. You could be artsy, you could be classy or you could be the motivational quotes on the wall type, the store has what you need.”

HomeGoods also gives students confidence to start thinking about decorating and furnishing their own houses after graduation.

“I’m a senior here at Utica College and when I think about having my own place I most definitely will be going to HomeGoods when it comes to decorating and getting everything I need,” Taylor Heitmann said. “The prices are just so great, I would never spend more than I have to, but if I can get more for less that’s perfect. I honestly wouldn’t want to shop anywhere else.”