Clark city center revisited

L.P. Pacilio
Revisiting Clark Center. Source: Kelsey Carlo

Kelsey Carlo, Staff Writer

Since the Clark City Center opened its doors in the fall of 2016, it has been home to Utica College’s business programs, students and faculty. UC occupies three floors in the building.

The first floor hosts classrooms, lounges, an auditorium and conference rooms. The online program occupies the fourth floor and the fifth floor holds study rooms, faculty offices, MBA blended classrooms and regular classrooms.

Students who attend classes in the Clark City Center can use the free shuttle service offered that runs from UC’s campus to the downtown campus. Each day, there are two shuttles, Bus A and Bus B that pick students up in Strebel Circle. Bus A arrives to campus every day at 7:40 a.m. and Bus B arrives at 7:45 a.m. Both shuttles end times vary depending on the day.

Rick Fenner, Dean of Business and Justice Studies discusses that the shuttles run according to class times at the center.

“The bus schedule is slightly different this year because of the schedule of classes,” said Fenner. “For instance, the bus runs until 4:55 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays to accommodate a late class on those days.”

Fenner also states that they have slightly altered how long the shuttles run in order to keep a balance of convenience for the students.

“I think the shuttles have been working very effectively,” said Fenner. “I’ve heard very few complaints so far. I think students have become comfortable moving between two campuses and realize the Clark City Center is less than a 10-minute bus ride from the main campus.”

Not only have students been adjusting to the commute between campus and the center downtown, but so are some faculty members who have had their offices relocated there this year.

Patricia Swann, Professor of Public Relations and Journalism mentions that despite the distance from the main campus, she is enjoying the space she has been given.

“I am split between the main campus and the downtown campus so that does pose some challenges,” said Swann. “I am, however, enjoying my fifth-floor perch that gives me a stunning view of our downtown. The college has done a great job with providing professional spaces for faculty including offices and meeting areas.”

For students who have their own form of transportation, finding somewhere to park can be a bit of a struggle.

Megan Lacoss, business management senior, expresses minor complaints.

“I try to find a parking spot every day and it’s not always easy, but it’s doable,” said Lacoss. “There also isn’t a big variety of food available, which is tough to bare when you are hungry and can’t make it back to campus for lunch.”

Inside the Clark City Center is a quick-service food and beverage area and all other dining options are local businesses within walking distance.

Despite her complaints, overall, Lacoss loves the building.

“I love having all of my classes downtown, it gives me a chance to get off campus,” Lacoss said.“We are pretty much our own little community down there and I personally think that this move was a really great idea for UC’s business school.”