Summer in September

Maria Longeretta, Staff Writer

September has seemed to be giving us more warm weather than ever. Retail stores like Lowe’s and Hobby Lobby have already set up Halloween and Christmas decorations, which seems weird to some students since it feels like summer in the middle of fall.

Some Utica College students can’t get used to the 80 degree humidity in the middle of September, while others are taking advantage of the sudden burst of summer.

Last week, many took advantage of the beautiful weather outside behind Strebel to participate in Squirrel Days, while Utica College co-ed fraternity Alpha Phi Omega was promoting Suicide Awareness.

“I love the beautiful weather, but I wasn’t prepared for it,” sophomore Kristina Kuil said. “I would love to go hiking while we still have the nice weather.”

Other students think it has something to do with all the natural disasters to the south that is causing the warmer weather.

“I like having the warm weather,” senior Meagan Stanton said. “The warmer weather might be because of all the hurricanes happening.”

Other students are having a hard time with summer weather in the fall. In upstate New York the weather can sometimes be unpredictable. One morning you could wake up to a forecast of clear sunny skies, whereas tomorrow it might be snowing with a chance of hail.

The warmer weather happening much later than usual has some UC students wishing for the fall and its cool air.

Senior Domenica Risucci states, “It’s strange to see all the leaves falling with 80 degree weather.”

Sophomore Matthew Patton talked about how where he is from, a town near Saratoga, New York, is prone to the colder weather like we usually are in Utica.

“I’m used to the cold,” Patton said. “In Waterford, it’s colder so I’m used to it. The hot weather is a little weird.”