Apple picking: would you buy the new iPhone?

Maggie Reid, Assistant Features Editor

When you walk down the hallway to get to class, it is almost impossible not to nearly be run over by someone with their nose buried in their iPhone, smiling at a text a friend just sent them. Pretty soon, some students might be holding the newest version on the iPhone in their hands while others will stick to the oldies.

Apple recently announced that they would be coming out with iPhone 8, iPhone 8 plus and iPhone X–which is expected to cost $1,000.

The pricy new phones come with features such as “Qi” standard wireless charging and a glass front and back, which Apple claims to be “the most durable glass ever in a smartphone.” Advanced speakers, a better camera, a faster CPU, Retina HD display and new sizes (the iPhone 8 has a 4.7-inch retina display while the plus has 5.5-inch display) are what consumers are now going to get if they decide to purchase the new phones.

The iPhone X forgoes the home button for a 5.8-inch super retina display, replacing thumbprints with face ID. Instead of having everything at your fingertips, it is now in the eyes of the beholder, literally. With just a glance at your screen, you can make purchases and sign in to your phone. Face ID is enabled by the new true depth camera, which will analyze 30,000 invisible dots to create a precise map of your face.

The true depth camera includes features such as selfie mode, portrait lighting and animoji–which analyzes more than 50 of your muscles movements so you can turn yourself into one of 12 different animal emojis such as a panda or even a unicorn.

Junior Emilee Stevens was apprehensive about the new glass front and backs.

“I feel like it would break so easily,” Stevens said. “And there is no way I would pay that much for something I would just drop and shatter everywhere.”

Junior Tyler Wright had similar thoughts when it came to the price, as well as a loyalty to the phone that he currently has.

“I wouldn’t buy the new phone because it is very expensive and I don’t have that kind of money right now,” Wright said. “I have an Android anyway because I think Apple isn’t good. Androids are so much better.”

Sophomore Nick Kowalczyk would rather save his money.

“Even if I had the money I wouldn’t buy it,” Kowalczyk said. “I would rather spend it on something more useful, or save it for the future.”