Advice for your 16-year-old self

Advice for your 16-year-old self

Maria Longeretta, Staff Writer

“I know that I’m naive” is part of a song from the famous movie “The Sound of Music,” which talks about the responsibilities that come with growing up. Now with some college experience under their belts, some Utica College students would have a lot to say to their 16-year-old selves if they had the chance.

Junior Sanela Ferizovic said she would stop caring about what people think or say.

“Their opinions don’t matter, what only matters is what you think about yourself, plus you’ll never see these people again so just let it go,” Ferizovic said. “I used to care a lot about what people thought of me and it made me sad to the point where I hated it. So the past couple of years I learned to get over people’s opinions of me because that doesn’t matter. What does matter is what makes me happy, and it’s my future that I am looking towards, not theirs.”

Being a teenager can be a very challenging time and it can get more stressful as a young adult entering college. Junior Suada Dervisevic said she would “toughen up.”

“Prepare yourself to be on your own, to not be so trusting, to support yourself and sometimes treat yourself,” Dervisevic said.

She said it can be easy when you are young and lean on your parents for things you need, however when you become an adult it gets harder and you must support yourself. She expressed it’s always a good idea to save money for when you need it most in the future.