The complications of student housing

Sandy Moses, Staff Writer

With the class of 2020 being one of the largest classes in Utica College history, attendance rates have significantly gone up in the past couple of years. With an increase in student attendance comes the issue of on-campus housing.

Some students find their arrangements to be inconvenient but stuck to them anyways, while others took the easier route in choosing to inconvenience themselves in the most minimal way so they didn’t have to deal with living off campus or needing to take a shuttle.

“My roommates and I decided to put ourselves into a triple,” sophomore Sadie Evans said. “Instead of being put into the Ramada, we decided that we would rather deal with a triple in Burrstone, which really is not that bad considering the rooms are big enough and we have our own bathroom. We just would rather not deal with shuttling back and forth from Ramada to the campus everyday considering none of us have a car.”

Those who do live in Ramada either love or hate it. Considering their situations, of course, some would much rather live on campus than somewhere that is not even within walking distance.

“The rooms are big enough so that you have your own space, and if you have a roommate they have their own space too,” a student, who would like to remain anonymous, said. “It is also nice to have your own bathroom too. The only thing I would say that can be really inconvenient is that if you do not have a car, you have to shuttle back and forth.”

Others were able to live right on campus whether they were put in Alumni, Bell, Tower, Boehlert, North or South halls, which are a walking distance away from the academic buildings.

“I would say I was very lucky when it came to housing this year.” sophomore Tyler Mosher said. “Not many people get housing on campus their sophomore year, let alone in their first choice for housing.”