Summer blockbusters

Summer+blockbusters

Jacqui White, Online/Social Media Editor

With summer winding down, that means this year’s summer blockbusters are also coming to an end. Summertime is a great time for blockbusters to hit the screen with the extra time most people have during these months.

Summer weather also gives people an opportunity to go see movies at drive ins, something that definitely can’t be done during winter in New York. Some of the popular movies released this summer included “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” “Annabelle: Creation” and “Wonder Woman.”

Jenifer Stimpson, a criminal justice major at Utica College, saw “Annabelle: Creation,” the prequel to “Annabelle,” and “Spider-man: Homecoming” this past summer.

“Annabelle: Creation” takes place in an earlier timeframe as another great horror movie, “The Conjuring,” which was released in 2013 and was based on the true story of two paranormal investigators,  Ed and Lorraine Warren, trying to help a family with a dark presence in their home. “Annabelle: Creation” is about how a doll that later came into their possession became possessed by a demon.

“I liked the Annabelle movie because it had an interesting plot line and the jump scares were really exciting,” Stimpson explained.

UC student Carly Tebolt also saw “Annabelle: Creation” a couple days before she came back to Utica. When she watched the movie with her friend, she didn’t realize the movie would contain as many jump scares as it did.

Tebolt explained that even though she wasn’t expecting a lot of moments in the movies, she did like how the movie didn’t have too much gore.

“During the jump scenes, I would be hiding next to my friends because I wasn’t expecting something to pop up,” Tebolt said.

Stimpson also liked “Annabelle: Creation” because she felt the director did a good job of making the doll look very disturbing throughout the movie. She saw the movie with her boyfriend and a few of her friends during the first week of school.

“Spider-man: Homecoming” stars Tom Holland as a young Spider-man in Queens. Stimpson saw the 3D version of the movie, which she stated that Holland was her favorite actor that played spider-man on the big screen.

“It was cool that he had a British accent in real life, but doesn’t have the accent in the movie,” Stimpson said.