Phi Iota Alpha aims to regain full recognition status at UC

Photo by Daeshan Buseck

Avel Montas, Contributing Writer

The Dons are making a return on the Utica College campus, so be on the lookout. FIAT is the current official interest group of Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc. and is helping the Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, Inc. gain full recognition on campus.

FIAT stands for Fuerza, Integridad y Amistad a Todos, which means strength, integrity and friendship to all in Spanish. The fraternity lost its recognition in 2015 when the two active members, Karl Simpson and Carlos Mendez, graduated.

“Because lack of inventiveness, recruitment suffered and the chapter went dormant,” said Jason Nova, a Utica College alumni who is a brother of Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity, Inc. “Now the fraternity is putting more effort and intentional training towards coming back stronger than ever.”

Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity Inc. is the oldest Latino fraternity in existence and was established on Dec. 26, 1931 at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. It promotes the ideology of Pan-Americanism which can be described as the unification of all the Latin American nations and all Latin American people through economic, political and social ideologies.

Having full recognition from the college allows new members to wear their Greek letters after being on probation from having temporary recognition. During the probation period, certain rules are established to make sure that the interest organization does not fail.

FIAT received temporary recognition in February, which allows the organization to organize more events on campus to gain awareness and increase recruitment. The fraternity participates in events around campus, including Relay for Life earlier this month.

The three active members have been interested in the organization for the past two years.

“The reason why I picked this fraternity is because I think it’ll help me break out of my shell and improve as a person, as I’ve done so far,” FIAT member Franmy Joel said.