Senior profile: “Bliss”

Photo by Jeff Paxton – Perfect Game Imaging

Criminal Justice senior eyes a law enforcement career

Jordan Hughes, Staff Writer

Ethan Bliss, known to many just “Bliss,” is always putting everyone before himself. The classic nickname has stuck with him for as long as he can remember.

Born on Feb. 14, 1995, in Cooperstown, Bliss was raised on a large farmhouse located outside of the village. His family raised him with his older brother and sister on the plot where his family values were instilled at a young age.

Bliss grew up having to work with animals such as cows, goats and horses, often having to wake up early to take care of them.  Bliss grew fond of two goats that jumped towards him every time he came near them, ironically named Jack and Jill.

Over the years, Bliss became a top three-sport athlete in the upstate area, participating in soccer, baseball and basketball.  In top athletic shape, he had to make a decision of where to go to college.

Bliss originally choose SUNY Oswego, although he only stayed for one semester.  He chose to transfer to Utica College, pursuing a degree in criminal justice.

“Being close with my family, those trips to Oswego sometimes seemed too long,” Bliss said.

After transferring, Bliss began his journey to be a cop, working as an intern in Ilion.  The experience was one of Bliss’ favorite memories he’s had as a student.  As time progresses, Bliss is working to be a cop anywhere he can.

What stands out about Bliss is his dedication, spending nearly all his free time training and studying to become a cop.  He thoroughly enjoys the challenge and excitement of being a cop.

“I enjoy it so much that when I eventually am a cop, I’m sure I’ll love every second of it,” Bliss said.

As the school year is coming to a close, Bliss is faced with the tough choice: become a cop or try to find another job with his background in criminal justice.  His background in the degree is extensive but the dream of working as a cop is very real to him.