What’s app-ening?

Erik Lyndaker, Staff Writer

In a world that revolves around cellphones and the internet, there are unlimited apps available out there. Students on campus are always using their phones to stay connected with friends and family they are away from. Certain apps are great for these reasons, like the obvious ones for example are Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat.

Utica College sophomore Hannah Voss believes Snapchat is a great way to share your experiences with others throughout the day.

“I use Snapchat to talk to my friends more than I do just regular texting,” Voss said. “Snapchat is just so much more fun than any other app I use!” Snapchat also provides a space for a younger audience that students love.

Utica College junior Ally Pope had a different app she talked about other than the basic ones. Pope talked about how much she enjoys scrolling through Tumblr.

“I just really enjoy getting away from the standard social media and scrolling through the pictures on Tumblr,” Pope said. “Although Tumblr isn’t as big as it once was, it still has users that enjoy it.”

Another app that seemed to be really popular amongst students is Twitter. Several students admitted to scrolling through their Twitter feeds multiple times a day, sometimes even multiple times per hour.

“I look at Twitter more than any other app by far,” said junior Carlton Woodie.

Woodie says that Twitter is a big time distraction to him when he’s trying to do schoolwork.

Woodie isn’t alone on this. Students like Voss are right there with him. Voss said her addiction to Snapchat is a big distraction.

“Snapchat gets me to check my phone while I’m studying, so I try to put my phone away when I’m trying to get work done,” Voss said.