Traditional marriage on the decline

Rob Slivinski, Staff Writer

Millennials are choosing not to get married and the rates are steadily dropping. Traditional marriage has been on a downward trajectory for generations, but with this group it appears to be in free fall.

Fewer millennials choosing to marry is also a reflection of modern social attitudes that reject the institution as outdated. According to Olin College of Engineering, the marriage rate for women between ages 30 and 34 is close to zero.

“My feelings are mixed because I like the traditional ways of marriage, but I am not necessarily committed,” said junior Candice Kantor. “I’m just not ready at 21.”

Many say they would like to get married, but others, especially those with lower levels of income and education, lack what they require for a solid economic foundation.

“I plan on getting married around 25 and 28. By then I’ll be grown up and out of college,” said junior John Franchi. “Income, cost of living and children have a major impact as well.”

Today, people are cautious to even enter a relationship knowing the divorce rate.

“I don’t think people are taking marriage as seriously anymore,” said sophomore Rylee Meelan. “Everyone is into going out and having ‘fun.’ I do want to get married around 25 so I can have a chance to figure out life.”

A friends-with-benefits movement has evolved as well. Individuals are going out and hooking up with others with no strings attached. There’s a notion that before, lovers would actually go out on dates and treat each other right. Friends-with-benefits is an excuse to not be tied down.

“People want their freedom,” said freshman Adam Ziobrowski.

With the emergence of social media, it can be hard for relationships to last. Men and women are posting pictures daily and interacting with others. It may make it easier for people to talk to each other and “talk,” but when it comes to a relationship, people are choosing to shy away from being tied down to something.

Pictures posted on social media sometimes are not what others view that person as. In person, they may look a lot different and alter one’s decision in regards to a relationship. Social media could be a major factor in why millennials are not getting married at all or have to hold off on it to find the right person.