High expectations for UC Women’s Basketball

Jacqui White, Staff Writer

In the 2015-2016 season, the Utica College women’s basketball team went 8-17. In and out of conference games at home, they went 5-0 and 0-5 in away games. Throughout the whole season, it seemed the team had an easier time scoring points with a total of 819 points in the second half of their games compared to 638 in the first half.

Even though the Pioneers had a losing season last year, junior, Ashelyne Babb, had an impressive scoring season. She played in all 25 games the Pioneers had and starting in 12. Babb was second on the team in scoring, averaging 11.4 points a game. Babb was also third on the team in rebounding, getting a total of 118 rebounds on the season. Babb led the team in assists and steals, 59 and 68 respectively. Babb scored a career high of 21 points against St. John Fisher last year as she went 7-7 at the free throw line and 50 percent from the field.

Another player that could help improve the Pioneers is senior, Calypso Carty. Carty played in all 25 games last year and started in 24. She finished the season with 152 points, sixth on the team. Carty also came in second on the team for rebounds with 128. She was also tied for first on the team with Alaina Tripp with six blocks. Carty led the team in free throws, going 51 for 67, giving her 76.1 percent. Stealing at least once every game, Carty was third on the team with steals for a total of 40 on the season. She led the team in free throw percentage going 51-for-67 which was good for 76.1 percent. Carty recorded a season high of 16 points to go with her six rebounds in the team’s win over RPI on Nov 19.

Carty thinks that this year will be better than the last. She explained that the team has a strong freshman class that is really buying into their style of play.

“Our returns have put in a lot of work during the offseason,” Carty said, “they’ve really elevated their games.”

Carty also said that even though the season hasn’t started yet, she believes the team has had a very good first week of practice and the team keeps improving every day. She thinks this year will be big for the women’s basketball team.

Kayla Kibling, assistant coach for the women’s basketball team, already thinks that the team has room from improvement over last year.

“A few of our freshmen have the ability to help us right away,” Kibling said, “And we have a strong group of returners.”

Head coach of the team, Michele Davis, is settling into her 17th season of the head coach position. Davis has a 209-181 overall record, giving her a .536 winning percentage.