Internships: Experience beyond the classroom

Joya Pavia, Staff Writer

An internship can teach more than classes can. It gives real life experience in the field you’re studying. It may be intimidating to get into the the work force, but it’s crucial to gain experience before graduating college.

Finance major Francesca Zumpano is currently interning at Northwestern Mutual working in financial planning and life insurance.

“I find and meet with potential customers and help them plan for their futures. I pick out insurance policies that fit well with their needs,” said Zumpano, who was required to pass a series of tests to receive a certification to become a licensed life, health and accident insurance broker. Zumpano said this is her first internship, but she would love to do more if she has the time. Although her internship isn’t required for her major, it is highly recommended.

Internships are a way of experiential learning and can aid students in broad majors to go into certain departments to identify what they enjoy most.

Career Services located in room 206, Strebel Student Center assists students in finding the internships they are looking for. Students are advised to use “purplebriefcase. com”, which is a career management system, and create a profile for future employers to view. The site allows students to narrow down a search to find internships or jobs and apply.

Career services offers tools to prepare students for the next step. There is an array of services to guide students in locating possible career paths. They offer career counseling, career resource library, job and internship postings, interview preparation, and a chance to meet with employers.

Internships offer networking opportunities and could raise the likelihood of accepting a job following graduation.

UC alumna Alaina Vennero interned at the Utica College Office of Alumni and Parent Relations. In this position, she put together accomplishments of past alums for Pioneer magazine, assisted with alumni events and worked on all homecoming registrations. Vennero worked at UC office of Alumni and Parents Relations for three years, but was an intern for two years. Her time as an intern gave her the opportunity to work during college and prepared her for life after graduation.

Senior Angelo Romeo interns in the UC athletic department, working with the Sports Information Office. When asked what his position entails, Romeo said he creates preview, game, and post game content for all 26 intercollegiate sports here at UC. He also helps with social media, stats and run the video board during home games. Over the course of the semester he is required to log 120 hours of fieldwork for his major.

Some programs at UC offer academic credit for internships, therefore, it is important to meet with your advisor or an internship coordinator, to see what is required for your program. Having an internship is essential to a resume because employers want to see experience in new graduates.

Internships are a way to learn more about your potential career path through hands-on experience. There is no better way to know if you want to do something than actually giving it a try first. Internships allow students to develop experience, as well as the confidence they need to enter the work force.