Where are they now: Amanda Fanelli, recent graduate

Briana Greco, Assistant Features Editor

Amanda Fanelli graduated in May 2016 from Utica College with a degree in Public Relations. Her time at UC has prepared her for the workforce and the industry that she works in today.

Fanelli now works at M.A. Polce Consulting Inc. where she is the Public Relations Coordinator. In this position, she is responsible for the company’s media pages, press releases and other duties such as maintaining the company’s website along with coordinating upcoming events. Fanelli’s experiences at UC has aided in her success in life after college, allowing her to work in an industy she truly enjoys.

As anyone would be, Fanelli admits she was a bit nervous when she first started her job.

“The professors at UC taught me things that are relevant to the industry I am working in,” Fanelli said.

She also said that once she settled into her new job, she had nothing to be nervous about because of the great education she received at UC.

Transitioning from college life to adult life can be a challenge for many people. Fanelli said that the biggest adjustment was adapting to a set schedule instead of having different classes with breaks and time to go home for lunch.

“I actually got my job before I officially graduated so I had to adjust pretty quickly,” Fanelli said.

When asked what advice she had for students enrolled now, Fanelli’s biggest thought was to take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way and make as many connections as you can during your time at UC.

“I had three different internships throughout college and took away something unique and different from each one,” Fanelli said.

Taking full advantage of resources that colleges, especially UC, have to offer is something she felt strongly helped her along the way.

Knowing how to manage time and prioritize tasks without getting overwhelmed were two keys that helped Fanelli prosper in college.

“It is important to take one day at a time and one task at a time,” Fanelli said.

Still, Fanelli believes there is room for growth in the company she works for at the moment. Fanelli said that she does love her job and looks forward to what the future holds for her and her career.

After college, graduates go on to start careers and enter the workforce full of knowledge, but also have to adjust to the many changes the “real world” presents. While enjoying your time at school is important, focusing in on the aspects that will carry you after graduation is just as vital.