Behind the scenes: Michelle DeLafleur, library assistant

Amanda Paladino, Assistant News editor

While September means back to school for Utica College students, it also means back to work for many individuals on campus as well. For some, it even means starting a brand new job.

Michelle DeLaFleur was born and raised in Oneonta. She graduated from SUNY Oneonta in 2015 with a degree in English. This semester commenced her start at UC as Library Assistant. Prior to this fall, she had never worked in a library. DeLaFleur describes her experience to be both new and challenging, but in a good way.

“It seems like every day I learn something new, and while that provides a challenge, it is one of the things I love most about this job,” DeLaFleur said.

So far, DeLaFleur has spent most of her time behind the circulation desk while she continues training behind the information desk simultaneously. On a typical day, she processes books that professors bring in to put on reserve, essentially putting into the system that these books are no longer available to be circulated normally. She also consistently uses Inter-Library Loan, or ILL, which she finds fun to work with.

“I loved doing research in college, and now I get to help other people with theirs,” DeLaFleur said.

The position allows DeLaFleur to gain insight into various unique research projects, which has been her favorite aspect so far. She enjoys being exposed to an eclectic array of differing topics, most of which she wouldn’t have come across on her own.

DeLaFleur describes herself to be a stereotypical bookworm with a passion for reading, exemplified by the four full bookshelves she keeps at home. When considering the path that brought her to a full-time position at UC’s library, for DeLaFleur, it was a clear one.

“I’ve always loved libraries. Academic, public, law, it doesn’t matter,” DeLaFleur said. “When I was a kid, my mom would take my brother and I to the local library at least once a week, and it was so amazing to me that I got to bring a brand new book home each time. The thrill just stuck.”

DeLaFleur referenced the old adage saying, ‘do what you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life.’ While her time at UC has just begun, it allows her to thrive on a career platform that she is passionate about and enjoys.

“I look forward to coming in every day,” she said. “It’s lovely.”