Students talk social media

Briana Greco, Staff Writer 

Social media is prevalent in the lives of nearly everyone at almost every age. Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are a fun and easy way to stay connected with friends, but employers are now looking at candidates and their social media accounts during the hiring process.

When applying for a job, what you post on social media can make or break your reputation in today’s society. According to Jacquelyn Smith, in an article for Forbes online, “They found that 37 percent of employers use social networks to screen potential job candidates. That means about two in five companies browse your social media profiles to evaluate your character and personality and some even base their hiring decision on what they find.”

Although we may like to post certain things to our social media accounts, sometimes we must filter or screen our content to prevent future employers from knowing parts of our life that may seem unprofessional or not relevant for the business world.

“I only post things to my Facebook and Instagram that I am proud of,” said Morgan Manfredo, a junior. “You wouldn’t want to post anything you wouldn’t want your future boss to see.”

However, social media can also be used to benefit you when applying for a job. You have the opportunity to post your accomplishments and success for future employers to look at when deciding to hire you or another individual. Networks such as LinkedIn or Google+ give you a platform to connect with professionals, making job searching a little bit easier.

“Even though I am only a freshman I pay attention to what I share with the world via social networks,” said Jillian Holmer, a freshman. “You want to share things that represent your skills and characteristics.”

Social networks can be tricky. There is a boundary between sharing your personal life while maintaining a professional image.

During the last decade, there has been a plethora of social networks created with more advanced technology at our fingertips. It is difficult to transition from college life into the professional world. Being aware of every right move to make is nearly impossible, but here are a few tips to follow when it comes to what to share on social networks.

First, if you wouldn’t want your mom or dad to see it, you probably wouldn’t want a future employer to see it either. Second, if you believe it showcases something positive or it would benefit you in some way, share it! Lastly, be creative and always be yourself. Don’t post things trying to fit a certain image. Always share your truest self with future employers, because it will help you in the long run.

Social media will always be a way to stay connected to the outside world, and to friends near and far. Just remember it is also a way to connect with the professional world as well, and can help you land a job one day.